To Doc or anyone who might know?

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
01/14/2004 2:09 pm
Hey Doc, I know your a fellow Korg man and I believe you also have the Guitar Pod by Line 6. Have you ever tried to use the Pod as an effect send? I tried and well my results weren't what I was expecting. I ran the Aux out into the guitar input and back out to the D8. The effects from the D8 come through but the signal is weak (even on wet) and there's a bit of hum. Wondering if you ever tried it, or might have a remedy for an old mate. Thanx in advance.

This isn't limited to just the Doc, if anyone has an idea or answer. I would appreciate it. Thanx.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/14/2004 6:13 pm
So you were trying to use the Korg as an effects module ?

I have not heard of people doing that before but I can imagine a few pitfalls.

I imagine that the problem is either: Not enough signal coming out of the pod (you could try increasing the amount of signal coming out of the Aux out OR the gain staging in the korg is screwed up (like a fader is turned down)

DOn't know if I have been any help, you could always try :

http://www.korgstudios.com

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
01/15/2004 3:49 pm
Thanx for the reply Doc. Actually I'm trying to use the Pod as the effects module. That way I can just record a dry guitar signal into the Korg, then use the Pod to sort of search around for a nice sound. Instead of playing something a billion times until I get the right sound on the Pod. Plus it will save me the later hassel of having what I though was a great sound but not having the right blend when everything else is put together. Since this is for a new project (trying something different), I'm still kinda new at it and still experimenting. I know it will work but I'm just not doing something right. :rolleyes: 'sigh' I'll check out Korg though. Thanx.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/15/2004 3:57 pm
Aha you are re-amping, you want to use a pod pro, that has a switch on the front of it that allows it to accept line level (as opposed to HiZ) input.

You can go from the Korg Aux out to the Pod main input and back to the Korg as per usual, people do that all the time ! With a Pod pro you can even use the S/P DIFs to return the signal back to the Korg so you are only converting once.
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
01/15/2004 4:12 pm
That might be my problem, I have the Pod 2.0 not the Pod Pro. So I have no switch or no S/P DIF. I'll have to find someway to convert the line out signal to HiZ, is that even possible without still destroying the sound? :(

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 01-15-2004 at 10:29 AM]
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/15/2004 5:34 pm
It should be as it is stepping down, I bet Lordathestrings2K would know
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/15/2004 10:57 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon
It should be as it is stepping down, I bet Lordathestrings2K would know
ahem - I resemble that remark! :)

Now then, Line Level vs Hi-Z...

When you're linking solid-state gear, the impedance is not critical, but the voltage level may be. High impedance (Hi-Z) inputs are designed to handle the output of a 'typical' guitar. That's usually about 100 to 250 millivolts. A line-level signal is typically 1 volt. So you see that the line voltage is at least 4 times, and maybe 10 times as high.

The POD input can probably handle the signal out of your Korg. You will know it's too high if the POD output sounds harsh and crunchy from clipping. You can reduce the level if you need to.

I think the main problem is that the POD output is not high enough to give the Korg something it can work with. You can try maxing out the POD output and turning up the Korg slider. If the signal is still too weak, you will have to add some gain between the POD output and the Korg input. There are Line-to-HiZ matching transformers available from most music stores, but I wouldn't recommend spending that kind of money if you don't have to.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
01/16/2004 3:03 pm
Thanx Doc and Lord. I took what you said and sat down last night to see what I could do. I did get it to work after alot of tuning with volume knobs and what not. Lord you were right, it was the signal returning to the Korg that was making the signal weak. I thought it was the send to the Pod, so I found that blasting the effect send was actually making it worse. Having it about a quarter of the way up is perfect, I guess that accounts for the voltage difference. Getting a clear signal back just took alittle messing with the master volume on the POD, and it cleared up. There's still a slight hum, but only when the guitar is silent. I figured out Noise gate will remedy that. Again, thanx for your insight. I appreciate it. :)
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/16/2004 10:14 pm
Thank you, noticingthemistake. I find I do a lot of 'armchair theorizing' on this forum. It's good to hear about about it when I get it right! :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.