Portable or PC???

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/22/2003 11:17 pm
Ive been looking at the Fostex MR8,Korg PXR4,Boss recorders and other removable flash card type stuff.

Ive also been looking into PC based recording...the US-122 USB Audio/MIDI Interface thing looks good and comes with cubasis and somthing else.

What would be my best option as

:Im on a budget
:Im not recording a band
:I need drumbeats(built in drum machine,separate or software based e.c.t)

Help me out!Thanks
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/22/2003 11:23 pm
How good are you with computers ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Digit
Digit
09/23/2003 10:17 am
If portability doesn't matter and you don't have to record a live band to seperate tracks, go for the pc.
Nothing beats being able to drag and drop on screen and the hundreds of VST instruments and plugins available.
If you get cubase it comes with a drum machine, moog synth, reverbs etc.
Plus your not limited to 8 tracks or whatever. I've pushed mine up to 60 tracks with only 128mb ram. plus you can run unlimited midi tracks.

# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/23/2003 8:56 pm
I know html,but that wouldnt help me around recording/sequencing software...I'm good with computers and other things that require brain use to some extent.I can make it around most any complex gui with time.
ANYway,yeah I guess I'll go the PC route.I already have 60 gigs and a cd burner...just need the input/s and software.
Ive made a ton of techno crap on my fruityloops and I would imagine cubasis wouldnt be a whole lot different.

Thanks dudes!

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
SPL
SPL
09/23/2003 9:27 pm
If you already own a decent PC, it would be logic for you to go with a software based setup.

# 5
Digit
Digit
09/24/2003 1:43 am
The learning curve is only steep if your totally new to it.
If you've always recorded to tape, it takes a long time to get used to exporting and stuff. I still get confused with recording midi to audio. If you record midi from a plug in you have to export and if you record midi from an external sound module you record like normal. I'm constantly getting them mixed up and ending up with blank tracks.
Latency issues are a pain in the ass too, plus getting a feel for how the limits of your computer affect what you do.
But once you get the feel for everything you start automatically knowing what to do.
Like, I know for sure if I'm recording audio I have to use virtual memory because I don't have enough ram, but if I'm recording midi, I have to make sure virtual memory is off because of the delay between hitting the key and hearing the note. You learn little things like spreading your instruments out on multiple tracks so everything isn't playing all at once all the way through the song.
If you have 24 tracks of contant music playing on all tracks, the hard drive can't keep up so you have to leave gaps occasionally so that the hard drive can catch up.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.