Line In/Mic In

Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
09/21/2003 3:54 pm
When I use the line in, i can't record anything and when I use the mic in and use a mic, I have to record at a loud volume to get anything onto the computer. If I record vocals I can't even hear them on the recording. Whats goin' on?>
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 1
SPL
SPL
09/21/2003 4:07 pm
If I'm explaining the more than obvious here, I apologize in advance...

You have to make sure you have the proper audio input selected and that its level is set to a decent level. You do this by right-clicking the little speaker in the bottom right corner of your screen, select "Adjust audio Properties", "Audio" and then 'sound recording'.(this layout may differ depending on what OS you're using, but you'll figure it out)

I hope this simple fix will do it.
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/21/2003 4:47 pm
Some soundcards on your computer have a microphone input boost to. Check that out on your computer soundboard. They usually boost the input signal +10db, which helps out alot. Especially for vocals.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/21/2003 7:16 pm
Microphones generate much less signal than say electric guitars which generate less signal than CD player sending info to an Amp. It is critical to have the correct amount of signal going into the correct input or your recording will either A) sound dreadful or B) damage your kit beyond repair. This is why you can’t hear anything when you plug your mic into a line level input. You could look up impedance matching if you want to know more.

If you are serious about recording stuff with a microphone the best thing to do is get a microphone preamp and a reasonable microphone.

Preamps range from about 100 to a 1000 USD depending on the quality you want. Behringer occupy the bottom of the pile with Avalons (and others) at the top. I use a Focusrite platinum voice master pro cos I like the way it sounds. For vocals most people use condensers (100 to as much as you want (Blue bottles come in at about 4.5K)) however if you can get away with a dynamic mic like an SM57 or SM58 well cool!

You should be able to get recordable signal if you plug the mic into the mic input and crank the pre on your sound card as Noticingthemistake and SPL have suggested. Don’t expect to sound like Meatloaf or Brian Ferry !

[Edited by Dr_simon on 09-21-2003 at 09:30 PM]
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
09/21/2003 11:25 pm
How do I increase the input on the computer?Or is that the little sound thing in the bottom of the computer?
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 5
SPL
SPL
09/22/2003 12:18 am
Originally posted by Tele Master
How do I increase the input on the computer?Or is that the little sound thing in the bottom of the computer?

You'll have to get to the recording control menu, as I explained in my other post. Simply select the mic input and slide the 'fader' up to an acceptable level.
# 6
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/23/2003 5:20 am
Originally posted by Tele Master

The db boost should be under microphone on the settings panel SPL is talking about. Click on Advanced and you should see it there. Again not all soundcards have this option you'll just have to check. If not, messing with the fader should get you where you need to be. But if your going to be recording alot; definitely look into a pre-amp, not just for vocals but for everything you are gonna want to record.

Maybe even a nice soundcard which will remedy the problem that might be caused by what Doc wrote in his first paragraph. Factory soundcards have several problems when it comes to recording, there just not made for it. What you need isn't that expensive either, a good M audio is around 100-200 dollars depending where you look.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.