Recording with drums ?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Recording > Recording with drums ?

Crime Fighter

Sounds good. As long as the wav files aren't the midi sound converted. Midi is great for arranging and things along that line, but on a final recording. It sucks! (bluntly said) The realism just isn't there especially in the mix with other acoustic instruments. I even try to stay away from drum machines and drum machine samples. There midi too just a higher polyphony, they sound real but you can still tell it's a machine. I like the real thing better cause the mix blends better with all acoustic instrument rather than artifical and acoustic.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.

Sounds good. As long as the wav files aren't the midi sound converted. Midi is great for arranging and things along that line, but on a final recording. It sucks! (bluntly said) The realism just isn't there especially in the mix with other acoustic instruments. I even try to stay away from drum machines and drum machine samples. There midi too just a higher polyphony, they sound real but you can still tell it's a machine. I like the real thing better cause the mix blends better with all acoustic instrument rather than artifical and acoustic.

Gargoyle Instructor

Vienna Symphonic Library

Ok - if you think midi cannot create the impression of real peeps playing then eat this! the link above leads to the biggest and best sample library there is. go to "demos" and "Vienna demos" - all those files have been programmed with midi using those samples (in AKAI format i guess) - you bet you cannot tell the difference betwen this and real musicians.

Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.

Vienna Symphonic Library

Ok - if you think midi cannot create the impression of real peeps playing then eat this! the link above leads to the biggest and best sample library there is. go to "demos" and "Vienna demos" - all those files have been programmed with midi using those samples (in AKAI format i guess) - you bet you cannot tell the difference betwen this and real musicians.

Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.

Guitar Tricks Instructor

Evil laugh ....yum yum cheers dude !
My instructors page and http://www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS

Evil laugh ....yum yum cheers dude !
My instructors page and http://www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS

Crime Fighter

Yeah Az that's pretty d@mn cool, but I aint paying no $3000 dollars for it. :rolleyes: That sh^t better sound real for 3000 dollars, cause I could get a real orchestra to play it for a fraction of that cost. Or I could just get a synth module and get all those sounds myself. Cool Site though.

Yeah Az that's pretty d@mn cool, but I aint paying no $3000 dollars for it. :rolleyes: That sh^t better sound real for 3000 dollars, cause I could get a real orchestra to play it for a fraction of that cost. Or I could just get a synth module and get all those sounds myself. Cool Site though.

Gargoyle Instructor

those sounds ARE real - sampled by REAL peeps with REAL instruments - they are worth every cent - trust me. and you´ll get nothing like it in a synth module or anywhere - even the regular AKAI sample cdss like Miroslav Vitous or Piet Siedlacek are weak in comparison with those!

YOu might get an orchestra for that money - but only for ONE recording - those samples remain forever ;)

[Edited by Azrael on 07-09-2003 at 09:59 AM]

those sounds ARE real - sampled by REAL peeps with REAL instruments - they are worth every cent - trust me. and you´ll get nothing like it in a synth module or anywhere - even the regular AKAI sample cdss like Miroslav Vitous or Piet Siedlacek are weak in comparison with those!

YOu might get an orchestra for that money - but only for ONE recording - those samples remain forever ;)

[Edited by Azrael on 07-09-2003 at 09:59 AM]

Crime Fighter

Ohh no doubt they sounded awesome. :D I might get the demo cd which is only 10 bux, but 3000 dollars for the complete orchestral set is a bit too much. Especially when you can get real instrument samples online for free, you just have to do alittle searching. Or what I might do is download the samples and then use cool edit to spice them up and just use those. Then I'll just use midi to write the sequence and just import it into fruityloops. Work the system! :)

Ohh no doubt they sounded awesome. :D I might get the demo cd which is only 10 bux, but 3000 dollars for the complete orchestral set is a bit too much. Especially when you can get real instrument samples online for free, you just have to do alittle searching. Or what I might do is download the samples and then use cool edit to spice them up and just use those. Then I'll just use midi to write the sequence and just import it into fruityloops. Work the system! :)

Gargoyle Instructor

well -you can always get soe akai cds and use some software sampler - thats less complicated *L*

well -you can always get soe akai cds and use some software sampler - thats less complicated *L*