Our band's recording dilemma

Guitar Tricks Forum > Recording > Our band's recording dilemma

Gargoyle Instructor

The thing we usuall yrecord is with MIDI

i have all my songs COMPLETELY in midi-format using the same program as my preferred studio does. its all in there - all guitars, bass, keyboards, drums etc - once it comes to recording i mute the drumtrack and let the drumer play along with the click and the other miditracks via headphones, giving him the impression of playing along with the band.
One important thing is, that every musician has to know the exact form of the piece - its not enough to know "now i got a break untill the guitarrists stops with his acoustic part" you have to know how many bars that part lasts and how long the next part is, etc. Write it down somewhere and learn the form if you do not have the possibilities to make it with midi or sumthing else.

Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.

The thing we usuall yrecord is with MIDI

i have all my songs COMPLETELY in midi-format using the same program as my preferred studio does. its all in there - all guitars, bass, keyboards, drums etc - once it comes to recording i mute the drumtrack and let the drumer play along with the click and the other miditracks via headphones, giving him the impression of playing along with the band.
One important thing is, that every musician has to know the exact form of the piece - its not enough to know "now i got a break untill the guitarrists stops with his acoustic part" you have to know how many bars that part lasts and how long the next part is, etc. Write it down somewhere and learn the form if you do not have the possibilities to make it with midi or sumthing else.

Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.

Crime Fighter

Yeah I do the same thing, as in writting everything in Midi. My friends make fun of me for it, but it's an easy way to put songs together and save them. Rather than storing them on a recorder or as a wav. file, which takes up too much space. Especially when you come up with just random ideas. As for recording a live band, unless the band is down with it. It's usually doesn't work, probably because re-writting the entire song in midi before recording is extremely time consuming.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.

Yeah I do the same thing, as in writting everything in Midi. My friends make fun of me for it, but it's an easy way to put songs together and save them. Rather than storing them on a recorder or as a wav. file, which takes up too much space. Especially when you come up with just random ideas. As for recording a live band, unless the band is down with it. It's usually doesn't work, probably because re-writting the entire song in midi before recording is extremely time consuming.

Guitar Tricks Instructor

Im just discovering Midi (instrument tracks), Im using Midi drums at the moment and it makes me very happy !!!

It is just so easy to edit, transpose, speed up, slow down even change instrument....awesome !

I cant imagine working with it live but I know people do !
My instructors page and http://www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS

Im just discovering Midi (instrument tracks), Im using Midi drums at the moment and it makes me very happy !!!

It is just so easy to edit, transpose, speed up, slow down even change instrument....awesome !

I cant imagine working with it live but I know people do !
My instructors page and http://www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS

Crime Fighter

Yeah, it's also great when composing the entire score. You can actually hear it before you record, which is great when you need to doctor up something and edit. For guitar and bass parts, I'll use Powertab to write it out and then convert it to midi, then on to Midi Orchestrator plus where I add everything else. Hardly a top of the line software but I only paid 10 bux for it and it works great and it's easy to use. :)

Yeah, it's also great when composing the entire score. You can actually hear it before you record, which is great when you need to doctor up something and edit. For guitar and bass parts, I'll use Powertab to write it out and then convert it to midi, then on to Midi Orchestrator plus where I add everything else. Hardly a top of the line software but I only paid 10 bux for it and it works great and it's easy to use. :)

drummer dilemna

Okay here it is: I used to be a drummer for 17 years before becoming a full time guitarist. And I used to teach as well. And here is the secret. " TIME IN MUSIC IS RELATIVE TO THE FEEL AND SOUL OF THE SONG" what that means is try not to stay rigidly structured to a certain time or tempo or BPM. tell your drummer to simply play the feel of the song. and the guitars and bass simply follow. I.E. if the jam is in 4/4 and there is a part that feels faster or slower than play a tad behind or ahead of the beat. and then use cymbals to bring it all back. listening advice would be KING CRIMSON; RUSH; METTALICA AND DREAM THEATRE...all great bands and also great drummers who know feel over time is essential to great music.Peace

drummer dilemna

Okay here it is: I used to be a drummer for 17 years before becoming a full time guitarist. And I used to teach as well. And here is the secret. " TIME IN MUSIC IS RELATIVE TO THE FEEL AND SOUL OF THE SONG" what that means is try not to stay rigidly structured to a certain time or tempo or BPM. tell your drummer to simply play the feel of the song. and the guitars and bass simply follow. I.E. if the jam is in 4/4 and there is a part that feels faster or slower than play a tad behind or ahead of the beat. and then use cymbals to bring it all back. listening advice would be KING CRIMSON; RUSH; METTALICA AND DREAM THEATRE...all great bands and also great drummers who know feel over time is essential to great music.Peace