Can someone please help a newbie to recording?

RNobody
RNobody
02/18/2010 8:37 am
Hi everyone,

I had a bit of a negative experience with recording and I'm wondering if someone could help. I spent a good, long time recording multiple tracks on the Mixcraft software, a Dell Inspiron laptop and a microphone. Everything was going fine until close to the end of the project when the tracks started sliding out of synch. I looked on the help file and, after attempting to solve the problem by downloading the newest version of my audio driver (Sigma), I discovered that apparently the problem is with my sound card. I attempted to fix the problem with their manual solution, but it was quickly becoming more trouble than it was worth and so I gave it up for a while. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do? Should I buy a new soundcard? Should I use another program? I'm obviously quite ignorant of this subject, so please assume nearly full ignorance of all things "recording" in your answers and thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help.
# 1
Ben_Fussel
Ben_Fussel
02/21/2010 11:39 pm
How nice is your computer? I have the same problem and my friend just said my computer is too old and needs more RAM and a better sound card.
# 2
RNobody
RNobody
02/23/2010 10:06 am
Hi Ben. I bought it about 5 years ago. I think that makes it a relic.
# 3
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
02/27/2010 9:48 pm
I've just paid 60$ for the Reaper licence

You can download Reaper for free for 30 days -'tis very good
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/28/2010 12:49 am
Originally Posted by: RNobodyHi everyone,

I had a bit of a negative experience with recording and I'm wondering if someone could help. I spent a good, long time recording multiple tracks on the Mixcraft software, a Dell Inspiron laptop and a microphone. Everything was going fine until close to the end of the project when the tracks started sliding out of synch. I looked on the help file and, after attempting to solve the problem by downloading the newest version of my audio driver (Sigma), I discovered that apparently the problem is with my sound card. I attempted to fix the problem with their manual solution, but it was quickly becoming more trouble than it was worth and so I gave it up for a while. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do? Should I buy a new soundcard? Should I use another program? I'm obviously quite ignorant of this subject, so please assume nearly full ignorance of all things "recording" in your answers and thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help.

Latency is your enemy and the older computer may be your culprit.

More specifically, seems to me that the weak link in the chain is when things connect (ie - the sound card). You do have an older computer and some specs are not going to be amenable to the amount of data you're trying to put in to it.

Remember that what your recording is, to the computer, data. Like any data, the computer only wants to handle 'so much' of it at a time. If it can't handle all the data in the pipeline, it buffers it until it can.

I'd guess, but I could be wrong, that some sections of the recording are more out of synch than others. If this is correct, it's your buffer 'catching' up.

So, first is having a sound card that can handle the data is key. If your Dell had the standard sound card of the day, it may not be up to the job. As said, always seems the weak link in any chain is where things connect and the sound card is that kind of link.

Resolution, without gutting out you current or getting a new computer, is to get an external device for this. Example is the M-Audio USB external. If your USB ports are 2.0, you should get really good performance since it's made to handle specifically recorded audio and has mic inputs etc. It's less than $150.

Also, your processor speed and RAM can affect too so if you have 512MB RAM, it's always going to be tough. If you have 2GB, much easier. Think of it as a pipe. The bigger the pipe, the faster stuff flows through. With recording, you need a big pipe. CD quality audio is a resource hog. A finished mixed down track can be 40MB and your system, with an unmixed track, is trying to playback much of that, capture what you're doing and make all the other 'computer decisions' at the same time. If the pipe is narrow, it's going to invoke the buffering traffic cop to help the flow of data.

Down side is that your track is gonna get messed up when the traffic cop steps in.

There's likely more to it and I only reflect what I meagerly know but a starter pack of thoughts nonetheless.
# 5
RNobody
RNobody
03/02/2010 8:50 pm
Wow Jeff. I really appreciate the time you took to write that all out on my behalf. Thank you very much. I'm planning on check it all out.
# 6
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2010 7:42 pm
To chime in on this subject. Latency is caused, at least in my experience, on the way into the computer. This can be fixed by changing your buffer rate, but again if the computer is old and doesn't have enough power; you really are at a bit of a set-back.

Recording, tracking, using effects, etc. takes alot of power on your computers behalf. Unfortunately the age of modern recording requires us to be pretty up to speed on keeping the computer in good shape and with the most power possible. Where as you can get away with having middle of the road equipment, your computer really needs to be in good shape and moving smoothly. Think of it as the foundation of your house. You don't always have to have the nicest things inside, but the stability of your home should not be skimped.

That being said, if the latency is happening during play-back (as in when you play all the tracks); that is your computer slowing down and trying to work with all the tracks, plug ins, etc. If you don't have enough processing power and RAM, than see in your recording software if you are able to temporarily disable the plug ins and "freeze" the tracks. In Logic you can freeze the tracks, meaning you can temporarily write the effects to the track for better play-back and for the computer to operate much smoothly. What software are you using? Hopefully this concept makes sense.

Another thing you can try, assuming that your computer is slowing down due to so many tracks and their effects; try bouncing out the tracks and re-importing them into a new session. That way, you aren't running a ton of effects and your computer can handle everything all the while allowing you to progress. These are a few options.

A few questions to better help you:

What software are you using?
How many tracks are in your session?
Is every track using effects?

Let's start there, and see if we can help you use what you have and not get so frustrated. I know this process well and you can't always go out and get new gear every time you need it. In a perfect world that would be the scenario. :eek:
Douglas Showalter
# 7
oldtimer70
oldtimer70
03/31/2010 10:22 pm
I'm thinking about recording myself at home. My question is, if I use a program like cakewalk or reaper do I need an interface also? I've looked into the various programs but I'm confused. I have no knowledge of computing or this recording thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
# 8
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/02/2010 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: oldtimer70I'm thinking about recording myself at home. My question is, if I use a program like cakewalk or reaper [U]do I need an interface also?[/U] I've looked into the various programs but I'm confused. I have no knowledge of computing or this recording thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The answer is yes.

Think of it this way, you need four things to record:

1) In instrument (the easy part...)
2) A way to record it (the program such as reaper)
3) A way to convert it from your playing in the computer
4) A way to make/capture noise (optional depending on what you record).

So, instrument; check. Recording program, check....even if you don't have it now you know you need it. So.....

You do need an interface no matter what. No matter if it's an electric guitar or acoustic. something has to convert your playing in to the little digital bits that store in your computer. You may need something like this. The type of interface you need may vary from these but it gives you an idea that you essentially need a 'music to computer' converter box.

So, the 'A way to make/capture noise....' part. Ok, so it's not so much a matter of otional but....Well....are you playing acoustic? Do you want to record your amp if electric is your deal? The the way to capture this is to get a mic that can connect to the converter box.

That may be all you need.

However, if recording electric guitar, you have the added option of buying amp simulations (sim) such as IK Multimedia's Amplitube software (IK also sells interfaces too). They allow you to tap a massive array of first class amps all loaded in to a computer program. In all, these types of programs do a really good job. I use the IK stuff. There are others too such as Line 6' Pod Farm stuff. They emulate great, classic and mostly unaffordable amps, If you take your time to dial it in, you get a very good sound.

So, really...different paths to get there. Guitar and program are a given, it's the interface you choose to convert and whether or not you need a mic or may get a amp sim too.

Kinda a short version, I suppose.
# 9
oldtimer70
oldtimer70
04/02/2010 2:59 pm
Thank you Jeffs65 for your reply. Now at least I know where to start. I play a Cordoba C5Ce, have a amp. and will follow your advice. Thanks again.

Keep strumming,
oldtimer 70
# 10
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
04/03/2010 11:35 am
Not having a mic at the moment, I can't test this. But wondered if I could simply run one thru my Digitech modelling pedal into my PC? I know a mic works fine enough plugged into an amp, so the logic seems sound. (heheh "sound" I kill me!)

I'm aware of all the sonic drawbacks, just want to know if it's possible. I'm heading out today to get a midi controller for my s/w drums, so the mic purchase is not far off now. So long as it can sound half decent, I can hold off on an interface for now.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 11
yiliayang0809
yiliayang0809
03/11/2019 8:33 am

I am also inexperienced in the recording. But I apply Joyoshare Screen Recorder to record my computer audio or video with ease. If you need, you can try as well. It is simple to operate and comes with a clean interface.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.