Problems with our bassist

hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/18/2020 3:03 am

I'm in a band and our bass player is a jerk, I am the lead guitarist and the singer. We have a rhythm guitarist who is also the founder of the group, a drummer who is still learning, and then our bassist. Our bass player is a jerk.

He doesn't learn half the songs we decide on, the songs he does learn he forgets or stops us from playing 30 seconds in, usually to offend us. But he gives us trouble because when we threaten to get rid of him he says " I have immunity nobody at school plays bass better than me." which sadly is true even though he sucks.

I just need help on what I can do.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2020 3:12 am
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

I'm in a band and our bass player is a jerk, I am the lead guitarist and the singer. We have a rhythm guitarist who is also the founder of the group, a drummer who is still learning, and then our bassist. Our bass player is a jerk.

[p]Solution:

1. Fire bass player.

2. One guitarist learns to play bass.

3. Get things done.

In a couple of power trios I've been in I traded bass duties with the other guitarist on sets of songs.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Herman10
Herman10
08/18/2020 6:51 am

Fire him and find another one that wants to learn no matter how bad and be patient with him, this one will only stop you from going places with your band ( how can you arange gigs when you don't even know if he's gonna be the same at the gig, if he even shows up? )

But unfortunately it is the biggest block for many musicians, it is real hard to find people to form a band and who's characters all match.

Herman

# 3
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/18/2020 12:51 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

Solution:

1. Fire bass player.

2. One guitarist learns to play bass.

3. Get things done.

In a couple of power trios I've been in I traded bass duties with the other guitarist on sets of songs.

Usually the bassist quits and goes to do something else and we finish practice with me on bass anyway so that might work, thanks.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2020 2:09 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter.kaneUsually the bassist quits and goes to do something else and we finish practice with me on bass anyway so that might work, thanks.

So, you've already had practice at doing it! :) Good for you! Here are two simple rules that work for many things in life.

1. Don't stop.

2. Keep going.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/18/2020 6:40 pm

Move on to someone you can work with. All the talent in the world does you no good if he's not collaborative and not a good fit for the band.

I spent many years in Holllywood as a working screenwriter and editor, and also several years in Nashville and NY in the music industry. It doesn't take much to see that the people with the best and longest lasting careers aren't necessarily the ones with the most talent, but the ones that people like to work with.

Worst comes to worse, do without a bass player for awhile. You might find you've created a more distinctive sound, you might just have to be creative with keyboards and electric guitar till you find the right fit. Either way, you're better off.

You're also not doing him any favors to enable his bad behavior. He gets fired from a couple of bands, maybe he'll wise up and figure out that he needs to develop some collaborative chops in addition to his bass playing. Otherwise, he's going to have a miserable career, or probably no career at all.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 6
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/18/2020 9:16 pm

Thank you, for the help everybody who replied, Our founder/ rhythm guitarist is going to fire him if he doesn't improve so that will leave us without a bassist, well, not really because, I'm going to start playing bass too.

I figure I'll move from lead guitar and lead vocals to bass and lead vocals and our rythm guitarist can move to lead.

I sadly cannot do anything to get rid of our bass player as I didn't start this band we've only been around for two months and I joined a month ago, The rhythm guitarist started the band so, It would need to be his decision to get rid of our bassist, but I think our bassist will be gone by next month if he isn't fired he will likely quit.

# 7
Captain_Crunch
Captain_Crunch
08/19/2020 8:02 am

Depending on your music style, you can probably do without a bass player for a while. It did not turn out that bad for The Doors...

Or if you decide to apply the Hetfield/Ulrich formula, you will kindda have the work half done for you...

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.