Best songwriters of all time?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Songwriting > Best songwriters of all time?

Big as Elvis, Baby

Lyle Lovett, Merle Haggard, Jackson Browne, Chuck Berry, hey not profound but cetainly prolific, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, Willie, Sting, this list could go on forever, their are alot of good songwriters, I wouldn't take anything away from Segovia, but how did he wind up in a songwriter list? A transcriber of great works, which is an artform in it's self for sure, but I don't recall him writing any songs which is kind of essential to being a songwriter, I know I'm just being a pain.What qualifies one as being a Great Songwriter anyhow, is it popularity, or profoundness, quanity or quality, or does personal preference have alot to do with it, the reason I ask is because I see C.C. Deville mentioned(and others) and no one comments about a lack of profundity, but Hendrix is called overrated, I'll pick Burning of the Midnite Lamp or If 6 was 9, or anything off of Electric Ladyland over Unskinny Bop, if it's just about Hits, why didn't anyone mention Brooks and Dung, they crank out about 2 or 3 pieces of commercial tripe a week...

Lyle Lovett, Merle Haggard, Jackson Browne, Chuck Berry, hey not profound but cetainly prolific, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, Willie, Sting, this list could go on forever, their are alot of good songwriters, I wouldn't take anything away from Segovia, but how did he wind up in a songwriter list? A transcriber of great works, which is an artform in it's self for sure, but I don't recall him writing any songs which is kind of essential to being a songwriter, I know I'm just being a pain.What qualifies one as being a Great Songwriter anyhow, is it popularity, or profoundness, quanity or quality, or does personal preference have alot to do with it, the reason I ask is because I see C.C. Deville mentioned(and others) and no one comments about a lack of profundity, but Hendrix is called overrated, I'll pick Burning of the Midnite Lamp or If 6 was 9, or anything off of Electric Ladyland over Unskinny Bop, if it's just about Hits, why didn't anyone mention Brooks and Dung, they crank out about 2 or 3 pieces of commercial tripe a week...

I hate to be the one to tell you but Hendrix is somebody,
for the past three years rinning he's been voted "best guitarist ever" does it matter that his words weren't amazing? NO!

I hate to be the one to tell you but Hendrix is somebody,
for the past three years rinning he's been voted "best guitarist ever" does it matter that his words weren't amazing? NO!

I liked Hendix's lyrics...He wrote some cool lyrics

I liked Hendix's lyrics...He wrote some cool lyrics

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky'
Awesome line, sorry, but it's totally cool!
http://www.lalimace.net

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky'
Awesome line, sorry, but it's totally cool!
http://www.lalimace.net

Hendrix= over-rated guitarist.
Eddie Van Halen by the way, IS A LEGEND.

Hendrix= over-rated guitarist.
Eddie Van Halen by the way, IS A LEGEND.

Big as Elvis, Baby

I think too many other "Legends" would disagree with that statement, I've never read one comment by any of the guitarists who were at the top when Hendrix got his start, that said anything else but how amazing they thought his playing was, he must have had something that made him stand out, almost 33yrs after his death people are still talking about him, buying his records, learning his licks and covering his songs, not bad for being overrated.......

I think too many other "Legends" would disagree with that statement, I've never read one comment by any of the guitarists who were at the top when Hendrix got his start, that said anything else but how amazing they thought his playing was, he must have had something that made him stand out, almost 33yrs after his death people are still talking about him, buying his records, learning his licks and covering his songs, not bad for being overrated.......

That's because most people hop on bandwagons and adhere to the status quo. Don't get me wrong, I loved his playing but to say he's the all time great is a gross overstatement. Think about it. Was his playing at the time any better than that of Clapton or Beck?

That's because most people hop on bandwagons and adhere to the status quo. Don't get me wrong, I loved his playing but to say he's the all time great is a gross overstatement. Think about it. Was his playing at the time any better than that of Clapton or Beck?

Big as Elvis, Baby

Better is a difficult term, but certainly different and I think thats what got the attention of the English Blues Rockers, I think his approach to ryhthm separated him from the others, and his blurring of the line between lead and ryhthm I don't hear in the playing of his contempararies, I think Hendrix was also thought of as being closer to the blues, he was a black American among alot of white British guys that idolized the blues players they for a large part had only heard on records. As an afterthought, I think if you listen to any of the Cream records, the first Led Zep and Jeff Beck albums, and then hear Are You Experienced, Hendrix stands out as something different.......

Better is a difficult term, but certainly different and I think thats what got the attention of the English Blues Rockers, I think his approach to ryhthm separated him from the others, and his blurring of the line between lead and ryhthm I don't hear in the playing of his contempararies, I think Hendrix was also thought of as being closer to the blues, he was a black American among alot of white British guys that idolized the blues players they for a large part had only heard on records. As an afterthought, I think if you listen to any of the Cream records, the first Led Zep and Jeff Beck albums, and then hear Are You Experienced, Hendrix stands out as something different.......

Lennon and Mcartney are the greatest song writers of all time . Any people that can create Sergeant Pepper and Revolver and Abbey Road and...

Lennon and Mcartney are the greatest song writers of all time . Any people that can create Sergeant Pepper and Revolver and Abbey Road and...