Best songwriters of all time?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Songwriting > Best songwriters of all time?

dylon's a great musician but a terrible terrible singer. But at least he's got soul
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.

dylon's a great musician but a terrible terrible singer. But at least he's got soul
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.

Gargoyle Instructor

Jean Sibelius
Frank Zappa
Gentle Giant (Phil Shulman)
Cream (that was when Clapton used to make MUSIC *L*)
Jeff Beck
J.S. Bach
Heitor Villa Lobos
Andres Segovia

Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.

Jean Sibelius
Frank Zappa
Gentle Giant (Phil Shulman)
Cream (that was when Clapton used to make MUSIC *L*)
Jeff Beck
J.S. Bach
Heitor Villa Lobos
Andres Segovia

Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.

Andre Segovia

I would have to say Andre Segovia is the most important person ever in bringing the guitar to popularity. He lived in a time wear the guitar was considered primitive to the likes of anything in a symphony. He proved the guitar could be just as good and could be heard in large concert halls. Not to mention the technique he brought to the instrument. If Andre Segovia had never come along...I doubt the guitar would have the popularity that it enjoys today.

Andre Segovia

I would have to say Andre Segovia is the most important person ever in bringing the guitar to popularity. He lived in a time wear the guitar was considered primitive to the likes of anything in a symphony. He proved the guitar could be just as good and could be heard in large concert halls. Not to mention the technique he brought to the instrument. If Andre Segovia had never come along...I doubt the guitar would have the popularity that it enjoys today.

Hendrix is overrated to be quite honest about it. Plus he puked and died. How about Willie Nelson? Great writer and equally great guitarist. You can't forget Bocephus either.
I like AC/DC, ZZ-Top...oh.

Hendrix is overrated to be quite honest about it. Plus he puked and died. How about Willie Nelson? Great writer and equally great guitarist. You can't forget Bocephus either.
I like AC/DC, ZZ-Top...oh.

Gargoyle Instructor

Re: Andre Segovia

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeP.
I would have to say Andre Segovia is the most important person ever in bringing the guitar to popularity. He lived in a time wear the guitar was considered primitive to the likes of anything in a symphony. He proved the guitar could be just as good and could be heard in large concert halls. Not to mention the technique he brought to the instrument. If Andre Segovia had never come along...I doubt the guitar would have the popularity that it enjoys today. [/QUOTE]

AMEN!!!! All hail andre! *LOL*

Re: Andre Segovia

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeP.
I would have to say Andre Segovia is the most important person ever in bringing the guitar to popularity. He lived in a time wear the guitar was considered primitive to the likes of anything in a symphony. He proved the guitar could be just as good and could be heard in large concert halls. Not to mention the technique he brought to the instrument. If Andre Segovia had never come along...I doubt the guitar would have the popularity that it enjoys today. [/QUOTE]

AMEN!!!! All hail andre! *LOL*

what does hendrix puking and dieing have to do with his songwriting?
Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess was why several of us died of tuberculosis.

what does hendrix puking and dieing have to do with his songwriting?
Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess was why several of us died of tuberculosis.

He could have been somebody had he some brains. Instead he chose to walk down that toxic path to nevermore and puked and died. What did he write that is so profound??? Foxxy Lady? Purple Haze? Common.

He could have been somebody had he some brains. Instead he chose to walk down that toxic path to nevermore and puked and died. What did he write that is so profound??? Foxxy Lady? Purple Haze? Common.

Do you know why Eddie Van Halen will never be a legend? Because he has a normal life, with kids and all... I do think that some kind of 'die while still at the peak' magic happens. Kurt Kobain, Jim Morrison, etc...
http://www.lalimace.net

Do you know why Eddie Van Halen will never be a legend? Because he has a normal life, with kids and all... I do think that some kind of 'die while still at the peak' magic happens. Kurt Kobain, Jim Morrison, etc...
http://www.lalimace.net

Gargoyle Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Locomotive breath
What did he write that is so profound??? Foxxy Lady? Purple Haze? Common. [/QUOTE]

For his time it was - of course in days of dream theather and others it is nothing special.. but in his time he was the first doin thigs like this. If you would be the first doing something that has hardly ever been done before you would be proud, wouldnt you? and what would you think of peeps that tell you your stuff is "not so profund"?

Jethro Tull is also not too profound compared to nowadays musicians ;)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Locomotive breath
What did he write that is so profound??? Foxxy Lady? Purple Haze? Common. [/QUOTE]

For his time it was - of course in days of dream theather and others it is nothing special.. but in his time he was the first doin thigs like this. If you would be the first doing something that has hardly ever been done before you would be proud, wouldnt you? and what would you think of peeps that tell you your stuff is "not so profund"?

Jethro Tull is also not too profound compared to nowadays musicians ;)