Best songwriters of all time?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Songwriting > Best songwriters of all time?

I am curious, who do you think is the best songwriter (who also plays guitar of course) of all time? I would have to say Bob Dylan, with Neil Young coming a close second. Many people would get honorable mentions, but Dylan is the greatest. And he is still writing great lyrics in his informal yet brilliant style--check out Love & Theft.
What do you think?
David
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"

I am curious, who do you think is the best songwriter (who also plays guitar of course) of all time? I would have to say Bob Dylan, with Neil Young coming a close second. Many people would get honorable mentions, but Dylan is the greatest. And he is still writing great lyrics in his informal yet brilliant style--check out Love & Theft.
What do you think?
David

Steve Harris and Roger Waters are my favorite
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By

Steve Harris and Roger Waters are my favorite
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By

Lets not forget those heavy metal guitarists

Although not the most popular subject these days (Although I could care less...I love Heavy metal)

Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne)
C.C DeVille (Poison) (don't laugh... He's written Hit after Hit after Hit and has an ear for melodies)
Kirk Hammet/James Hetfield (Metallica)
Yngwie J. Malmsteen (Rising Force)
Ritchie Blacmore (Deep Purple)
Toni Iomie (Black Sabbath-again hit after hit)

Instrumentalists
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Yngwie J. Malmsteen (I also had to list hime here as well)
(I'd list more instrumentalists but these are the top with most radio airplay of their genre)

I guess when it all comes down to it who's the best songwriters etc. (Forget about media hype wich can brainwash people) everybody has different oppinions.

Lets not forget those heavy metal guitarists

Although not the most popular subject these days (Although I could care less...I love Heavy metal)

Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne)
C.C DeVille (Poison) (don't laugh... He's written Hit after Hit after Hit and has an ear for melodies)
Kirk Hammet/James Hetfield (Metallica)
Yngwie J. Malmsteen (Rising Force)
Ritchie Blacmore (Deep Purple)
Toni Iomie (Black Sabbath-again hit after hit)

Instrumentalists
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Yngwie J. Malmsteen (I also had to list hime here as well)
(I'd list more instrumentalists but these are the top with most radio airplay of their genre)

I guess when it all comes down to it who's the best songwriters etc. (Forget about media hype wich can brainwash people) everybody has different oppinions.

best songwriters of all time?

i'd say paul simon, dave matthews or john lennon..and bob dylan would be there as well. others that drserve mention:
stock atkin and waterman, they hold a record i think, for writing a complete song the fastest, words and music: 3minutes...kinda kwik...

i'd say paul simon, dave matthews or john lennon..and bob dylan would be there as well. others that drserve mention:
stock atkin and waterman, they hold a record i think, for writing a complete song the fastest, words and music: 3minutes...kinda kwik...

oooooooooooooooo and ben harper!!...

oooooooooooooooo and ben harper!!...

For a while, I didn't think anybody cared about songwriting anymore. (ha!) Those are all good choices. Have you heard of Jay Farrar from Son Volt, originally with Uncle Tupelo? He's the man to watch as far as new songwriters go (in my humble opinion).
David

For a while, I didn't think anybody cared about songwriting anymore. (ha!) Those are all good choices. Have you heard of Jay Farrar from Son Volt, originally with Uncle Tupelo? He's the man to watch as far as new songwriters go (in my humble opinion).
David

Cobain
Morrison
Edd Vedder
Depeche Mode
And of course Perry Farel
These are the first five that came in my mind

Cobain
Morrison
Edd Vedder
Depeche Mode
And of course Perry Farel
These are the first five that came in my mind

songwriters

cobain...nah.
morrison...hell yeah...esp: madam george
vedder... yip yip yip...esp: off he goes
depeche mode...goody goody...esp: personal jesus

songwriters

cobain...nah.
morrison...hell yeah...esp: madam george
vedder... yip yip yip...esp: off he goes
depeche mode...goody goody...esp: personal jesus

I would have to agree and say Bob Dylon along with Neil Young! but i would also lke to give thanks to Axel Rose, Billy Joel,Kurt Cobain and Noel Gallahger for their memorable lyrics.

I would have to agree and say Bob Dylon along with Neil Young! but i would also lke to give thanks to Axel Rose, Billy Joel,Kurt Cobain and Noel Gallahger for their memorable lyrics.