words with music or music with words?

seasoned_chicken
seasoned_chicken
05/28/2002 8:07 am
which ways do you'all do it? I personally write my words first and then just twang about trying to find a sound that is sutible in mood and sound to what the song is about, but im interested in how other people do it, coz personally i find it hard to write the music first.
Who would call their kid Bruce anyway???
# 1
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/28/2002 8:50 am
I write the music first. Always.
I would never write a song to a text,
Why?
Because I dont really have anything that I want to express
with words. I do it with the guitar instead.
I write the song, the chord progression, where
the solos supposed to be etc, then I write the text.
Many people says to me; "You should write the text first,
dont you want to say something with your songs???"
Well first of all, no I actually dont, Im not RATM and
I will never be, I dont have anything important to say.
And second, if I had something to say, why would I
not be able to do that?
Just because I adjust the text after the song doesnt
mean I cant say what I want to say.
So thats the deal.

# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
05/28/2002 3:35 pm
My way of handling lyrics is to not write them at all. I'm a decent writer when it comes to essays, but I absolutely suck at writing songs. I write songs with no words at all, or I hook up with other bands and just play guitar while they write words and sing. I can sing... made All State Choir, but I don't like to sing anymore, so I let someone else do it while I do what I like. As for which to write first, if you write both music and lyrics, just do what you're inspired to do. If you have some great words in your head, write them down and write music to it. If you come up with an outstanding riff/chord prog., then write words to go along with it. But remember, not all songs have to have words, and not all songs have to have music (and there's no order to which songs must be written). I like heavy, fast guitar when it comes to my musical tastes, but it's surprising how good some a capella choirs sound.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 3
LeftSide
LeftSide
05/29/2002 2:45 am
I also suck at writing lyrics... I tried to write poetry, and turn into lyrics, but then i discovered that i also suck at writing poetry that rhymes like a song. I just write riffs and songs on my guitar, then i ask a friend or girlfriend to help me write words that go with the riffs i write.
# 4
BlackBox
BlackBox
05/29/2002 1:57 pm
I would definatly say music with words. But when I write (which I just started writing) I would go words first. Mostly because of the fatct that im pretty new with playing guitar and I go good with power chords and thats about it. :)
Rock on.
# 5
blackrose
blackrose
06/15/2002 6:58 pm
Whatever I come up with the inspiration for first.
# 6
paddybodenham
paddybodenham
06/22/2002 1:59 pm
I made that mistake at first as well - used to write a lot of poetry in my "adolescant" stages... just figured that I could mix it up with a melody.

DON'T DO IT.

Song lkyrics are about as different as you can get. One - it is the hardest thing in the world to make feally amazing intellectual lyrics. Bob Dylan was reknowned fr that... but lyrics have a different inherent rhythm so if you get them muddled up you're started to play with fire... and that might have you tearing out your hair before long!

Good luck everyone.

P.

TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
06/22/2002 2:06 pm
I can write lyrics sometimes, but most of the time I write instrumental pieces. I cant just sit down and write stuff on the page and instantly like it. Every now and again I get something inspired but it's often no more than a few lines and if I try to write it down and develope the lyrics from it later I end up writing cheese. I have a lyric-book full of crossings out, and the phrase 'drop this section its s***e' appears frequently. So I dont torture myself by sitting for hours waiting for lyrics, I let the music do the work.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/24/2002 4:37 am
Originally posted by paddybodenham
... and that might have you tearing out your hair before long!...
LOL...I'll have you know, sir, I resemble that remark!

The best stuff comes together in a rush. There's something bouncing around in my head that has to get out. Phrases suggest themselves to me: both the prosaic and the sonic variety. Usually the music gells first, with disjointed snatches of sentences finding their place in the melody.

Practice helps. I got my start in the Folk scene in the late 60's, when a lot of 'songs' were really just rants that had some music in the background... kind of like what Dylan would have written if he lacked talent. Be true to yourself. You are expressing yourself, aren't you?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/30/2002 5:14 pm
Originally posted by paddybodenham
...it is the hardest thing in the world to make feally amazing intellectual lyrics. Bob Dylan was reknowned fr that...

It depends on how your general thought process works;you can't brilliant lyrics while most of the other times you are some slob of a guy.As in it's not just your music that sounds intelligent;you are intelligent,generally speaking.
Speaking of which,me I'm intelligent.:)
I remember myt uncle talking of how good my spoken English was when I was a little boy.And in most African countries,speaking English(or French,or whatever language was brought to you by your colonial master)carries some special meaning.It's associated with being bright and educated and what have you.And often,the association is true,coz if you're not educated,then you most likely don't speak English.
# 10
*Chrissy*
*Chrissy*
07/17/2002 12:02 pm
Yeah usually it's whatever i'm inspired to do first. I find when i write the lyrics first before the song, i won't like them and wont end up using them... I'll usually be stuffing round on my guitar and bash out something that sounds half decent. I try to remember what i played and organise them into some kind of form and just play over and over. Once i know what i'm playing... i'll start singin words that come to my head as i'm playing, just completely on the spot. Phrases i blurt out that i like i'll write down. I'll take it from there, see what i churn out and polish it up a lil... that's my song. It seems to be working for me, but not everyone's all that good on improvisation, i know i never used to be!!
*I'll pour my soul, but drain my heart*
# 11
JohnEve
JohnEve
07/18/2002 3:23 pm
I'm always interested when CD inlays include little sections about the inspiration and writing of the songs. Usually there is a combination of both - even by the same songsmith. Sometimes they have an idea to base some lyrics on, and other times they're just humming along when an interesting melody turns up. Obviously in a perfect world, the lyrics and tunes would match up.

Oh well

JE
# 12
Damo
Damo
08/06/2002 6:08 pm
hi guys!
I'm new here but this site seems to be wot i was after! could i just say, in regards to your opinions, i, also, suck at writing lyrics!!
In our band, my mate will do all the lyrics coz he's good with words! then i go round and we just jam for a while. eventually one of us will hit a riff or chord pattern that sounds 'right'. then we adapt it to fit the lyrics. that is the best way, because songs with 'music first' origins seem to have no point. they may as well be instrumental!
people, write feelings, then comopose!!!!

peace out, l8r
"Eat cheese and be Merry" Said the fat man who sat on a rather plump mushroom. :)
# 13
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/06/2002 6:43 pm
You have to a bias place i would think. I mean this is a guitar website and all. I do it either way... depends on which I fall into first, but I tend to do the music first cuz it makes the lyrics easier.

# 14
nox400
nox400
08/24/2002 4:46 am
I find something that I wanna write about, and then I write the music that brings out the emotion and feeling on that perticulare thing, and then putting text on its simple, u just gotta know how to sing, u can make any word sound like any note, other wise, If u write it just to play power chords and scream some crap, its not expression, its just trying to get it done, if u dont put your heart and soul and blood and sweat into it, then its just some noisy thing u invented, otherwise Its not ART, and thats the only title im willing to take when writing music is an artist,
And when I write my music, for me atleast, it feels like some old scar tissue and familiar memory, and it grabs and reachs and sooths and tears me, it becomes a part of me, thats wut music is/should be about, not just writing songs to call your self a rock band, or this Dip **** MTv stuff,
I wish the career of a Musician payed for ****, so there would be less ****.......Done with my rambelings.....
"...proper use of the brain is not endorsed by federal governments nor huge corporations involved in serious financial profit from a brainwashed and enslaved population. Mild discomfort may occur as confusing independent thought challenges popular views of the world....."
# 15
bainbridgemusic
bainbridgemusic
04/02/2020 1:34 pm

I haven't read all the past comments just a few, but I would say in my opinion, it depends and both.

From my experience and watching other people in previous bands and some of my guitar students, writing the music first and then the lyrics is much easier to get started with. [br][br]Then you have a structure and a general feel for the song and it is much easier for someone with little guitar experience to improvise a vocal melody than it is for someone with little experience to fit music to lyrics.[br][br]From an artistic point of view and in a perfect worl where you are fluent at lyric writing, song writing and your guitar playing then it all depends on the end product and not the process.

Even if you are talking just singing, lyrics vs vocal melody could be a factor.[br][br]Sometimes I will start a song with an idea or message from lyrics that well then in turn inpsire the music.

Fake Example of first line of a song: She punched me in the mouth. [br][br]How do you want to feel with the music? Are you angry because it was out of the blue? Are you sad because your love interest took what you said the wrong way? Are you happy because it was the moment that you turned your life around?

Then from their creating your music to best convey that might be one way.[br][br]The reverse could be done as well where you have a vibe from the music which inspires the line of lyrics

[br]You might create a vocal melody by singing random syllables or humming first and then make music around that with no lyrics. Check out The Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd. Those vocals express so much without any lyrics.

[br]I have seen too many poets with a book full of lyrics that have no idea or interest in learning how to put it into music. There is nothing wrong with poetry but just don't get stuck on lyric writing and getting frustrated you can't put it to music. If you want to make music, make that first.

# 16
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/02/2020 4:17 pm

I find that songs all come in diffrent packages. Sometimes a riff is all that is needed, other times it is a good phrase, others it is an intelectual idea that I want to express, others it is just a blinding flash of overwhelming feelings. I have come to enjoy this wide ranging variety of paths that lead to inspiration. It makes me think in diffrent ways, some calculated, some a seat of the pants romp with the muses. There is no one way to songsmithing. You just need to be inspired, however you come to that fountian of creativity.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.