New Band

maggior
maggior
07/17/2017 5:12 pm

Not sure who is still around here, but for anybody that is you may find it interesting to know I am in a new band. My duo partner will be retiring in a year or so and I decided I should start searching for a new gig sooner rather than later.

So I created a profile up on bandmix. I was honestly overwhelmed by the response that I got...there was a lot of interest. A band contacted me needing a guitar player. They are a little further away than I would have perferred (45 min.) but I thought if they are the right band for me, it would be worth the drive.

They gave me 7 songs to prepare in 3 weeks for an audition. It was a mix of pop, classic rock, and a ska tune. Not all in my wheelhouse, but nothing totally crazy. I worked really hard for those 3 weeks and landed the gig!!! I felt like I was preparing for a final exam. It was all pretty relaxed and we all get along quite well. They are established, experienced, and very talented musicians, so it's great to be rubbing shoulders with these folks! We are a 5 piece...bass, guitar, keys, drums, and vocals.

Last week I had my first rehearsal with them as an official member...even got a band t-shirt. Now I have to keep my nose to the grindstone and try to keep up my pace of learning 3 songs a week. The first gig I will play will be at the end of September. It's agressive, but realistic.

So much fun! Just a month into learning songs for this band I can already see an improvement in my playing.

In the meantime, I am still playing in my duo, so while I'm learning I still get to get out and gig with some very familiar tunes.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/18/2017 12:24 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior

Last week I had my first rehearsal with them as an official member...even got a band t-shirt.

That's wonderful! :D Congrats, Rich! I hope you have a blast! Please post any performance vids if you get a chance.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
maggior
maggior
07/18/2017 1:55 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: maggior

Last week I had my first rehearsal with them as an official member...even got a band t-shirt.

That's wonderful! :D Congrats, Rich! I hope you have a blast! Please post any performance vids if you get a chance.

Thanks...I apprecaite that. It's a blast so far. I have been in a bit of a funk/rut with my playing for a while and this has completely re-energized me! Just a month in working on songs for these guys and I can already hear improvement in my playing in general.

The first gig isn't until the end of September. I plan to take some video...I'll definitely post some video here.

In the meantime, here's 25 or 6 to 4 from my audition. It's a little rough and I was trying to not overplay so I had dialed things back. It was one of those moments though where I was caught up in it just being part of that larger sound...so cool.

I was telling them just before we started this song that I was impressed that they pull off Come On Eileen by Save Ferris (a high tempo ska version). You can hear the drummer's reaction to that saying "I'm out....you're hired" at the beginning of the song :).

25 or 6 to 4 - Clean Slate Audition

# 3
winryember
winryember
07/19/2017 10:56 pm

Congrats! I also had an audition recently for a progressive metal band- some of the hardest material I've ever learned.I got the gig, but the past month has been a grind learning all of the material. I'm glad to hear someone else is in the same boat xD We're playing a festival in a couple weeks, which is nerve-wracking but also exciting.

# 4
maggior
maggior
07/20/2017 1:52 pm
Originally Posted by: winryember

Congrats! I also had an audition recently for a progressive metal band- some of the hardest material I've ever learned.I got the gig, but the past month has been a grind learning all of the material. I'm glad to hear someone else is in the same boat xD We're playing a festival in a couple weeks, which is nerve-wracking but also exciting.

Thanks, and congrats to you too!! Feels good passing the audition, doesn't it :).

I feel your pain learning new material. It's all part of the fun though. For me, it's not the complexity of the material, it's the shear volume of it. One song at a time...

I'm sure you'll bring down the house at your festival gig. Good luck...and let us know how it goes!!

What festival are you playing?

# 5
wolfsmg
wolfsmg
07/22/2017 6:42 am

Congratulations to both of you! It's a great feeling, isn't it? I still remember my first audition and the feeling I had when I was accepted many moons ago (okay decades ago). Hope your bands have good energy, since that makes playing fun.

Best of luck and you'll do great!

What is this "strumming" of which you speak?

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster "Kelli"[br]Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE "Callie"[br]Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar "Theresa"

# 6
Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
09/02/2017 8:52 pm

That sounds absolutely amazing! Congratulations!!

I wish you all the best for the future and i would love to hear soon from you about how the first gig went

# 7
Tom Sklenar
Tom Sklenar
09/06/2017 1:26 pm

Congatulations! It´s great motivator. Don´t stop on your way, keep practising and work hard with your band to get as much success as possible! :)

# 8
maggior
maggior
09/06/2017 4:34 pm

Thanks guys!!

Things are rolling along with the band. I am down to 5 more songs to learn. Since the audition I've pretty much kept up a rate of learning 3 songs a week. Very motivating and fulfilling as I get these songs under my belt.

We had a gig scheduled on 9/23, but it was cancelled since the person that booked us left the organization and the new person decided they wanted a different band. We only found out by looking at the venue website!! Better than learning of it when you roll up to the gig :). Some very inconsiderate people out there.

Then last Friday we got great news that a place wanted us to play on 9/30! So the pressure is back on LOL.

The rest of the band are very enthusiastic and dedicated which is really great. After 3 months I still feel like the new guy...I'll probably always the the new guy. I'm much more relaxed now the I'm confident in my role in the band.

In the meantime I'm still gigging with my duo, which continues to be fun also.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.