Future Of A Guitarist???

dimefever
dimefever
04/27/2013 1:31 am
is there any/? these days hard to get a record deal,,,does anyone dream of being dave mustaine,mark tremonti, Id like to know.. I you do so,whats your plan, Please mention in vast details...since this thread is gonna help all of us who are started out with the hope of becoming a rockstar,,,and now the real life situation..THIS DISCUSSION IS OPEN FOR ALL
# 1
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
04/27/2013 7:15 am
I'm finding out there's a lot of steps to get there. Too many to list here. I'm not a successful guitarist but in the process of finding out how. There are programs out there to help you but keep in mind it is an intense process and costs money. And you will only get results if you do the work, it is not done for you. Otherwise you could muddle along for years, never quite knowing what to do, what next step to take.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/27/2013 11:53 am
Originally Posted by: dimefeveris there any/? these days hard to get a record deal,,,does anyone dream of being dave mustaine,mark tremonti, Id like to know.. I you do so,whats your plan, Please mention in vast details...since this thread is gonna help all of us who are started out with the hope of becoming a rockstar,,,and now the real life situation..THIS DISCUSSION IS OPEN FOR ALL

-First is; watch 'The Rise and Fall Western Civilization: The Metal Years'
-Then don't curse me because I forced you to watch that
-Do the exact opposite of what you see in the 'Metal Years' movie

The first thing you should do is stop planning and hoping to be a rock star. The likelihood of it happening is so small that it is shockingly unlikely.

I'm not saying that to rain on your parade. In addition to it being the truth, it will be a distraction. Step number one is getting good at your craft of playing and composing. Until that is happening, the rest will never happen.

Focus on being great at what you create musically.

Be honest with yourself musically. Most of us guitar players see our heros and think we may never be that good. Even when we start to master stuff and actually become pretty darn good. My ability to play is well beyond what I had hoped when I started many years ago. Still, I watch a guitar master and realize how little I really have as mastery over the instrument.

Key here is; be honest with both your musical successes and weakness. Be honest with where on the 'skill scale' that puts you. This will help you understand how you measure up to your heros.

Once the quality of your creations has lifted to a level of marketable, then you can think about how to make a living out of it (..but not rock star yet). You have to get out there and play in front of people. It doesn't matter if you think you created a masterpiece, if you play in front of people and it falls flat...Did you create a masterpiece. Other people need to like it.

If you want to be a rock star, remember that you are as much a product (like canned soup) as you are creating out of love of music. You might think it is art but the marketing people at a label have to sell it. That product better be sale-able in some substantial way. You don't have to sell out. You do have to make sure that you have a target audience worth selling to and that starts with knowing what works and what doesn't. You get that by playing in front people at clubs and the like.

Ready for the big time yet? Not yet.

Gotta demo your stuff. Lucky that you can get a nice DAW for next to nothing and make pretty good recordings...but that means that, instead of spending tall cash in a studio for some demos, you have to learn how to record yourself...which is itself and art. Either way, a demo must come.

Have all of that? That's the easy part.

Now you have to get that in front of somebody. If you are a metalhead, you options for label support are very limited. Almost non-existent at true major labels. Still, you have decent options like Nuclear Blast and Century Media and a few others (RoadRunner maybe but that's almost a major).

Do you have a manager? A lawyer? Who gets the demo in the front door? You can send a demo to a label and hope they listen to it.

At once point in my life, my then business had a small, independent record label. We released nearly 30 discs in our label's life. We had national distribution in Canada and large chain record store support in the US (Tower/Best Buy). Still, we were merely a bump in the music business' road.

Back to sending the label a demo...Even with our small time label, we got hundreds of demos a week. Hundreds. Most were complete and utter garbage. Just awful stuff. Harsh? Yes....go back the paragraph about being honest with yourself. Truly. Just because you created music does not mean it's good.

So, when you send that label a non-descript demo package, knowing that a decent sized label is going to get way more than my small time operation; how is yours going to stand out? Not to mention, the competition is much more stiff.

The music business is first and foremost, a business. If you want to be a true artist, create for yourself. If you want to be a rock star, understand that you will need to give u some level of control.

Back to the manager or lawyer.

I've known quite a number of well known people in the business (former rock stars, managers etc). If your stuff is truly stand out stuff and you can get a good industry manager, then your demo gets a priority listen. Remember, it's a business. The old saying about 'it's not what you know but who you know' very much applies here.

So, you got all that and a label signs you. Start counting the 'Benjamins'? Not likely.

Your disc may not even be released if the label doesn't see it as a priority. Even if it does, how much promotion will they put behind it? That promotion costs money and they are going to take it out of the dollars your disc generates. In effect, you pay for it. Anything the label pays for (recording, promotion, tour support, manufacturing) comes out of your budget from your release. That's if they decide to support it. Many labels don't favor tour support. Yet, that might be the best bet you have...You may be faced with going it alone on touring. Renting a 15 person van and hoping your manager is connected enough to attach you to a current tour...that you will be paying for yourself.

After all that, you start to sell some discs. All those downloads on iTunes? Rhapsody subscriptions? The return on MP3-type content is so small that you have to have a massive volume if downloads to make a small amount of money. Still, you are selling some discs. Say you sell 100,000. That is a huge amount of sales. Assume from that the label has now seen profit on their investment.

Do they start writing royalty checks to you?

Often times, no. I've talked to a good few experienced major label guys that got shanked out of 10-20 grand because it was to expensive to sue the label for it. So the label kept it...Remember, the music business is a slimy business.

However, if you got the right lawyer, you may be able to avoid that pitfall. Maybe. The key here is, you have to have made enough money for the label where the label realizes that it would be to expensive for them to not pay you.

Back to the songwriting aspect. Where you do make money in the business is by being a songwriter. The only aspect in the process where you get paid is writing the actual song.

Make sure you have a publishing company set up and incorporated. Make sure you have associated with a service that will collect songwriting royalties on your behalf (ie- Harry Fox). For every song you sell, you get approximately 7 cents per minute per song (ie - a 3 minute song would get you 21 cents equalling for a 10 song disc $2.10....give or take on that).

Yet, you are still not a Dave Mustaine having sold 20 million units...You are still a modestly recognized act with a following grinding it on tour.

This is where the hard work really starts...

Sounds very disheartening, all that?

It is but it's the business. The truth is, it all starts with the quality of music you create and the understanding of how good it either is or is not. Why did Metallica sell a ba-jillion units if the Black Album? Love it or hate it, it was good. It was relatable to a large audience. Remember though, before that happened, the band had to grind it out for years. A decade. Then they hit it huge.

Thus end the Music Business 101 lesson.

;)
# 3
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
04/29/2013 8:18 pm
That was very sobering and chockfull of useful tidbits. I want to put out a full length cd so I can get taken seriously. Then I have to work on getting some kind of recognition for it. I do have a web site but I still need a press kit and bio. I'm planning to get the cd done by the end of the year, the songs are all written. Then I'll start working on my better, second cd. The part I'm not sure about is performing because it seems exausting to get that up and running with a band. Performing would probably be the best way to get my music out there and the most physically intensive. I would just give up on all this if I knew any better after reading that last post. But I don't know any better and I'll never live down not trying.
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/29/2013 11:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Elliott JeffriesThat was very sobering and chockfull of useful tidbits. I want to put out a full length cd so I can get taken seriously. Then I have to work on getting some kind of recognition for it. I do have a web site but I still need a press kit and bio. I'm planning to get the cd done by the end of the year, the songs are all written. Then I'll start working on my better, second cd. The part I'm not sure about is performing because it seems exausting to get that up and running with a band. Performing would probably be the best way to get my music out there and the most physically intensive. I would just give up on all this if I knew any better after reading that last post. But I don't know any better and I'll never live down not trying.

I will say that it can depend on the genre of music. While it is not a big money maker, if you are a hard rock/melodic rock artist, there is a fairly solid import scene and some good overseas labels that would release in the genre.

If you are a 'current' genre artist, then see my post ;)
# 5
Connorcaswell
Connorcaswell
04/30/2013 5:09 am
Elliot Nailed it. Find a music mentor is a HUGE part of your success. Don't take advice from people who aren't successful. And BELIEVE you can make it.
# 6
ly2sing
ly2sing
05/03/2013 8:23 pm
Originally Posted by: dimefeveris there any/? these days hard to get a record deal,,,does anyone dream of being dave mustaine,mark tremonti, Id like to know.. I you do so,whats your plan, Please mention in vast details...since this thread is gonna help all of us who are started out with the hope of becoming a rockstar,,,and now the real life situation..THIS DISCUSSION IS OPEN FOR ALL

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Future rock stars,

Fame is overrated. Happiness is not guaranteed once a person gets to "the top." Most people who do end up asking themselves, "okay I made it, now what? How am I going to top this?" Few people "make it" and stay on top. Lots of sad stories . . .

Success lies in the journey, and the joy of living, being, doing, and sharing with others! Set goals, but be content in the moment. Celebrate the "little" victories of life, like mastering a new lick or riff. In other words, live! Enjoy the ride! ♪•*¨*•.¸¸.•*¨*• [/FONT]

# 7
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
05/05/2013 2:30 am
Good post ly2sing. Also, keep in mind some the best memories we have are of the struggles we experience.
# 8
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/05/2013 11:59 pm
The following was sent to me by a family member who's in the business...on the equipment side:

Musician: Someone who puts $5000 worth of gear into a $500 car to drive 100 miles to a $50 gig...

:D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 9
Stringybark
Stringybark
05/06/2013 12:51 pm
As mentioned before, just play for the joy of it. Record yourself..put it on YouTube... play at venues and do it from your heart and soul. If huge success comes your way, enjoy it as well. But at the end, it is all about the journey and not the destination.

I would love to just play as well as the some of the best out there and make myself and those who listen to me feel good about the music they hear. This is what it is all about: the love of making music.

There is always a future for a musician, because we as humans must have music. It is innate.
The accidental guitarist.
# 10
ly2sing
ly2sing
05/07/2013 10:52 pm
Originally Posted by: StringybarkAs mentioned before, just play for the joy of it. Record yourself..put it on YouTube... play at venues and do it from your heart and soul. If huge success comes your way, enjoy it as well. But at the end, it is all about the journey and not the destination.

I would love to just play as well as the some of the best out there and make myself and those who listen to me feel good about the music they hear. This is what it is all about: the love of making music.

There is always a future for a musician, because we as humans must have music. It is innate.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] So true! Feel so passionate about that! Music is therapy for the soul! ♪•*¨*•.¸¸.•*¨*•
[/FONT]

# 11
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/08/2013 1:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Elliott JeffriesGood post ly2sing. Also, keep in mind some the best memories we have are of the struggles we experience.

Or, depending on one's attitude, "the best memories are the ones we struggle to achieve" (as my scout leader said when I was a boy-scout some years ago).
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 12
maggior
maggior
05/08/2013 3:43 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTThe following was sent to me by a family member who's in the business...on the equipment side:

Musician: Someone who puts $5000 worth of gear into a $500 car to drive 100 miles to a $50 gig...

:D

Based on the various band biographies I've read over the years, that sounds about right!! Pretty funny when you put it like that.
# 13
Joseph Kimbrell
Joseph Kimbrell
05/21/2013 9:42 pm
Just be yourself and present yourself professionally.

There will always be great guitarists and great artists. There are reasons these people get to the top (luck rarely being one of them) and often they deserve it. Maybe their playing isn't as good as the dude at the local high school, but their skill isn't close to the only thing that got them to where they are.

I do think its a shame when some artists "make it" and then sort of fade away. But I think its because they lost their drive. This is why the superstars out there have long careers. They keep finding something to take to the next level.

Or well, that's how I feel :)
# 14
GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
05/25/2013 5:59 am
I am not as good at guitar as I used to be but I want it back after 30 years off. However, I am not pursuing fame and fortune. To get to the point, this time I am only playing in church so that gives you an idea where I come from (now).

All our little victories are the same. I try like heck to accomplish every little riff or pick pattern. Like everybody else, I see other guys play (GALS too, right?) and smoke me and I want to play like them...but when I can, I'll want to play even better. This is an infinite skills set we embark on here. Play your music to please others and watch how much that pleases you. I don't mean make yourself a rock star, but be a humble artist and paint beautiful, clean artful music. There is so much pleasure in this. However, being Dave Mustaine...while it still fits the model that he's better than most and we want to be him...I don't really think we want to be him. I wanna be good today and a bit better tomorrow, every day.

Oh and church...a great and forgiving venue...seriously. Nobody really knows when you screw up...enjoy
# 15
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/25/2013 8:43 pm
Originally Posted by: GreggRich1...I wanna be good today and a bit better tomorrow, every day...

Welcome to the Universal Church of Guitar where all guitarists aspire to the same... ;)

This from an interview of Neil Young in Parade Magazine, 4 Nov 12:

Parade "What goal do you have in music now?"
Neil Young "I want to be a better guitar player, and I want to learn how to sing better..."

Amen, Neil, amen.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 16
Joseph Kimbrell
Joseph Kimbrell
06/24/2013 4:56 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowOr, depending on one's attitude, "the best memories are the ones we struggle to achieve" (as my scout leader said when I was a boy-scout some years ago).

Great quote! You certainly appreciate what you work hard for
# 17
Jeremie Emond
Jeremie Emond
05/17/2014 3:46 am
Go take a look at this page...
tomhess.net/MusicCareer.aspx

Read it all
# 18
Mason Bruce
Mason Bruce
05/23/2014 6:01 am
Well I am a good enough guitarist to make it. Now it's just a matter of putting the other pieces of the puzzle together like songwriting, recording, the business side of things, etc.
# 19
Greg Frus
Greg Frus
05/31/2014 12:28 am
Some great posts on this thread. We all know this is not easy. Find your niche and stick with it.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.