FAQ Please

DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
03/09/2022 9:12 pm

Hi

I can't help thinking that this site would benefit from an FAQ section that covers all the questions that keep cropping up in the forum.

For example, or three, I've lost count of the number of threads I've seen asking about scales and when to use specific ones, scale patterns and/or chord shapes, or what pick to choose and how best to use it. Then there is a common concern around how much time to spend on lessons before moving to the next, or what to move onto following on from having just completed something or other.

Surely an FAQ would save everyone so much time that could be spent playing instead of asking a question, then getting contradictory answers from members who probably mean well but are basically beginners themselves who can at times take umbridge just because someone disagrees with them.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/10/2022 12:11 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

I can't help thinking that this site would benefit from an FAQ section that covers all the questions that keep cropping up in the forum.

[p]While that's an interesting idea, I'm not sure how practical it is. The answers are often already in the lessons themselves, or in an existing forum post, but I think there are 2 problems with a generic FAQ.

1. People want to interact with a person to help them. So the forum is a great way to personally interact with the instructors. I enjoy answering forum posts over & again! :)

2. It's often easier to just ask than to go looking through an FAQ or previous forum posts. And it's much easier to just post the question in the forum.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
03/10/2022 2:06 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

I enjoy answering forum posts over & again! :)

It shows. :)

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
03/10/2022 3:36 pm

I have to say that the personal touch, is a big part of GT's appeal. They seem to understand that the personal conection is a big help for folks frustrated with learning the arcane art of making music. An art that has traditionaly been taught in person, not by computer. For all the repetition of the same questions, I also see many people praising the fact that, in the end, there is a human being they can talk to.... not a long list of FAQs that don't address what they see their poblem as. We all know that learning music is hard.

I am astonished at how well the instructors address these questions. Despite the fact that they have already addressed the questions in lessons and email responses, they take the time to explain stuff to students. They are exceptional at this process. When I read their responses I don't find repeative pablum, I find serious musicians who are ready, willing and able to provide hand holding to help newbies who are overwhelmed.

When I consider how convoluted much of music is and how wide ranging it is in its pursuit of individual expression, I don't see anything that could replace the human touch when teaching beginners. I have been making music for decades and still I find myself stumped by seemingly controdictory explinations I find in music theory (like which way is up on the fretboard?). If I am still stumped, after all these years... I am sure newbies feel like deer caught in the headlights.

These instructors are clearly artists at communication. Which should not surprise us. After all, why do people play music, if not to communicate feelings. These instructors are artists not only on the fretboard, but in the art of education.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.