How to find basic songs without anything "strange"

pauli.karna12
pauli.karna12
11/11/2020 6:03 pm

Hi,

I struggle to find basic songs that do not use barchords or capo for instance. I would like to play beginner-friendly songs that use basic open chords, and which does not include some one string solo sections or "modified" chords.

Is there any method to sort these kind of songs out? Does anyone have a list of these songs available in GT?

Thanks,

Pauli

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/12/2020 6:04 pm

We are unable to sort the songs by chord type or lesson style. Sorry about that!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
jimk8882
jimk8882
11/12/2020 6:21 pm

I too have had to deal with this as I progress through the beginner fundamental courses. After all, I didn't want to deal with barre chords until I have started those lessons. What I have done is use the sort and filter feature in the songs page and set the difficulty filter to "absolute beginner". Almost all of these songs use only the basic chords. A couple of them, however, do use a capo. You can also set the difficulty filter to "beginner" which will include some songs that only use basic chords. In both cases, I have found it useful to watch the welcome video (the first video in each song) as the instructor will usually indicate what skills are needed if more than the basic. In a few cases, I will also watch the performance video as it will show the instructor playing throughout the whole song.

Not perfect but this process allows me to select songs that are appropriate for me at this point in my journey. I guess in some ways it also motivates me to moving forward so I can eventually play other songs that I want to play.

Jim

# 3
pauli.karna12
pauli.karna12
11/21/2020 4:04 pm

Allright, thanks a lot for the tips.

I just feel that the list of absolute beginner songs is quite short, and wantching the introduction video is frustrating. I mean there are good songs for me in the "beginner" section, but would be great to see from the info directly some key points about the song (if sorting is not possible).

But I can live with it and looking for suitable songs anyway.

Thanks!

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/21/2020 6:10 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: pauli.karna12

I struggle to find basic songs that do not use barchords or capo for instance. I would like to play beginner-friendly songs that use basic open chords, and which does not include some one string solo sections or "modified" chords.[/quote][p]The problem you're going to run into there is that's where songs get their interesting & unique parts & bits from! The unique or "strange" parts. :)

Having said that . . . [br][quote=pauli.karna12][p]Is there any method to sort these kind of songs out? Does anyone have a list of these songs available in GT?

[p]Your best bet is the Made Easy option.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs/beginner

Most of these songs are open chords with some barre chords (which you are going to have to learn eventually anyway). If there is a section with a single sting line or part that is too difficult for you, then:

1. Substitute something simpler. Just play a simple chord that represents the part.

2. Skip it & count to keep time until you can jump back in. That's great practice for timing.

I did this many times when I was learning to play. I would gradually add parts as I learned new techniques & improved my skill. I encouraged all my students to do it!

Don't let it stop you that you can't play every last part in the whole song. Play along with whatever you are able. Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.