Why is the App such a let down?

akscooby
akscooby
09/13/2019 6:48 pm

So full disclosure I am just trialing GT here as I try to decide what online resource to go with and part of my criteria is an app on my ipad so I can sit away from my computer desk with the ipad on stand.

However, the GT app whilst looks nice and has functions I like such as speed and markers on video.. is next to impossible to use since you have no way to track progress, bookmark anything or indeed look search for anything like the song you might try to learn between lessons. The best I can seem to manage is to pick up my last lesson... as long as I never looked at anything else after like a song or another lesson plan..

I have resorted to just using the website on my ipad which has the ability to look up progress and see where I actuall am so I can pick up where I left off no matter what the last thing I looked at was and can better see what is comming up etc. But doing so means the video function is back to being basic again with no markers or speed options (this only seems to be possible on desktop pc version of website)

Is it wrong to want the best of both together?

This same challenge seems to have been raised a while back from what I can find but seems the app staggers on being 'nice but dim'

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/13/2019 7:16 pm

Hi akscooby,

It's not wrong to want the best on mobile and the web. We understand that the app has a lot of opportunity to grow and be really great. We're definitely looking into ways to really improve it. I don't have much else to say in this regard except that we hear you!

Thank you for your patience, your feedback and giving Guitartricks a shot.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
akscooby
akscooby
10/19/2019 9:02 pm

Just signed up for a year so must be doing something right :)

# 3
jason.nesbitt
Full Access
jason.nesbitt
Full Access
01/17/2020 2:16 pm

To the OP, I just want to add that as a software developer, I know that it costs a whole lot of money to develop and maintain these apps. To give you some perspective, to implement a requested feature in the app, it might cost GuitarTricks 5 to 10k. Multiply that by 2 if you want to implement it in both iOS and Android. Oh and the website cost is separate as well. Add that to the licensing fees and the instructor royalties and you can start to see why they don't have an app as fancy as soemthing Google might release. I'm sure they'll implement requested features as they can afford it.

# 4
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
01/17/2020 8:39 pm

Thanks for the insight jason.nesbitt.

Pretty much I'd surmised, and your sentiment echoes my own. Keeping the GT sub costs down and affordable ticks my perpetual annual auto-renewal box.

I'm an Android guy when it comes to my portable devices. Smartphone, Tablet, TV boxes.

Personally I don't find GT's Android app to bad at all, and I always have the option to run GT in the Chrome browser window on my tablet where something isn't to my liking.

I use Win10 most of the time either on the 27" PC screens in our PC room, or alternatively through Amazon Firestick's Silk browser or Android cast to the 55" Widescreen LED in the HT Room cum Music Studio for GT song tutes/lessons. More so for song tutes.

# 5
Floridave
Floridave
01/20/2020 3:03 pm

Have to say I agree with the OP. I also use an Ipad, and like the OP, not the Guitar Tricks App, without the features mentioned, keeping up with progress, ability to figure out where you left off, searches, it's useless. So I use GT via the browser on the Ipad. It works, but not as nice as it could be with a workable App.

# 6
aaholmes
Full Access
aaholmes
Full Access
01/21/2020 7:22 pm

I use a Pixel 3 (Android) phone sometimes while practicing and I load GT on Chrome and I select "Desktop Site" in the Chrome settings. Then I can change video speeds just like on my PC.

# 7
walterg74
walterg74
01/25/2020 12:17 am

New member here. I am just trying out the app. [br][br]

While I haven't found a lot to complain yet, I did find annoying that the first thing I looked for was not there. And that was to see if the app also showed my progress, what I had already wathced/completed...

Besides extra stuff, I think that is a fundamental feature that needs to be there, and not really sure why it's not.

# 8
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
01/27/2020 9:02 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the feedback! We're actively working on improving and updating the app. You may have noticed that we added a simple way to look at your ACCOUNT info when using the latest build of the iOS app. We're adding a few more things in the near future.

We understand that the app development has been a little slow, but we're trying our best to fixing that while also continually adding a number of new tutorials and features on the website as well.

Last, but not least, we like to take into consideration all of your comments and suggestions so rest-assured we do hear you!

Thank you for your patience as we work on improving the app experience!

-Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.