String question

JohnGC
JohnGC
06/19/2021 5:25 am

Hi all, I decided to change my strings this weekend. I usually keep about three sealed packets of Fender 00.9-.042 Nickel plated steel Bullet end on hand. I bought two packets around December 2020 and the last packet 7 months ago. On opening one of the 2020 packets I found the strings had a few black marks on them. I decided to open the other packets and they were the same. My question is have any other members had this problem and is it still okay to use them ?

Thank you John

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/19/2021 3:35 pm
Originally Posted by: JohnGCOn opening one of the 2020 packets I found the strings had a few black marks on them.

You might be able to return them to the store or vendor. If not then use some steel wool to see if you can remove the corrosion as much as possible. That black is nickel oxide, essentially nickel rust. Then put them on & use them until they break! I've done this quite a few times.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
JohnGC
JohnGC
06/20/2021 10:16 am

Thank you Christopher, I am so surprised that I had three packs with the same problem. Maybe I should not keep them on standby and buy them as and when I need to change them. Keeping them at home for at least 7 months in a humid situation ( Queensland Australia ) could be the problem even though they are in a sealed pack. I will take your advise and try to remove the rust and use them.

Cheers John.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2021 2:56 pm
Originally Posted by: JohnGCI am so surprised that I had three packs with the same problem.[/quote]

In my experience that can sometimes happen before you even buy them. Most strings are manufactured & packaged in large batches. If a whole batch of them sat in a warehouse for months after being made before they got to a store shelf or were sent to you, then the corrosion could have happened before you even got them!

That's why I suggested the possibility of exchanging them. I've had some success with that in the past.

Originally Posted by: JohnGCMaybe I should not keep them on standby and buy them as and when I need to change them. Keeping them at home for at least 7 months in a humid situation ( Queensland Australia ) could be the problem even though they are in a sealed pack.

Yes, keeping them on hand that long in a humid environment could also be the main factor! Buying & using them as needed might be best in your situation.

[quote=JohnGC]I will take your advise and try to remove the rust and use them.

Good deal!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
JohnGC
JohnGC
06/20/2021 11:15 pm

Thank you Christopher for your help, it is most appreciated.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.