Guitar to Computer interface?

alrecatto
alrecatto
07/27/2020 2:58 pm

Hello,

I am new to GuitarTricks and not so good with computers and technology. I would like to use Guitartricks on my Mac, play guitar thru my computer and also use headphones at the same time. I do have garage band installed on the computer. Is this possible? If so, how? I am not wanting to record music just use the lessons and backing tracks and play guitar thru the computer. I will need to use headphones as I don't want to distrub the wife and kids while they are sleeping.

Thanks for the help!

# 1
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
07/27/2020 3:11 pm

alrecatto, I'm not going to retype it all because I am lazy. In this thread I discussed the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 that I used for quite a while before getting a multieffects pedal with a built in interface.

A couple other people mentioned it also. It's a very solid reasonably priced guitar interface that should serve you.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?f=5&t=55405

If for some reason this link doesn't work go to the Gear Subforum and there is a thread titled "Home Recording Help"

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/27/2020 3:35 pm
Originally Posted by: alrecatto

Hello,

I am new to GuitarTricks and not so good with computers and technology. I would like to use Guitartricks on my Mac, play guitar thru my computer and also use headphones at the same time. I do have garage band installed on the computer. Is this possible? If so, how? I am not wanting to record music just use the lessons and backing tracks and play guitar thru the computer. I will need to use headphones as I don't want to distrub the wife and kids while they are sleeping.

Thanks for the help!

As mentioned, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a great interface to connect your Mac. I use the 2i2 to connect to my Mac Mini and I love it.

You will need to spend a few dollars to get your connection and software up and running but once that's done, you have more than enough to play with.

If you want to save $50, go with the Focusrite Solo $109. Same thing as the 2i2 but with only one channel. For your purposes, it'll be more than enough to connect to you Mac. However, even though Gargeband is awesome, it's a bit clunky for using as a standlone amp via your comuter, you'll want to get an amp sim program (amp simulator).

Last year I bought Positive Grid's Bias FX 2. While the app sims sales page seems overwhelming and like any new program, there's a little bit of a learning curve, I found it very easy to use once I figured out a few things (like selecing the input device a la the Focusrite) and messing around with amp and effect selection. That didn't take terribly long though. It's on sale right now for $59, down from $99 and there is A LOT of stuff in there for $59.

Key is that you can use these tools both as a standalone (meaning that they are not reliant on a recording app like Garageband) and for recording when you get there and they work with Gargeband.

This is what I use, You can also look at IK Multimedia's iRigs and Amplitube series. I own Amplitube for a number of years ago and they were very good too but I do prefer the Bias FX stuff. It's a more natural sound.

# 3
alrecatto
alrecatto
07/27/2020 3:40 pm

Thanks so much for the advice!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.