119 Hour Progress and some problems.

Keys_
Keys_
12/07/2019 2:10 am

I don't know where to make this post ( so I'm sorry if I post it on the wrong section )

Hello! I've made a post before about how I'm tracking my progress to keep myself motivated (back when I was at 65 Hours in), on top of that I've made a blog so I can write about my progress and post some covers that I've learned.

My blog is : https://justcallmekeys.code.blog/

This journey has been super fun and going from knowing nothing about Guitars to at least play somewhat ok makes me really happy.

Now onto the problems;

Back when I made my first I was told that I should check the lessons of Christopher Schlegel on Improvisation for Beginnners. Problem is that at the moment that seems a bit advanced for me since I only know some licks as I'm right now on "Rock Style 1 - Chapter 4: Riffs, Licks and Themes".

My problem is that while I've learned some licks, I cannot for some reason modify them, I try to but they just sound off, I try different combinations or trying to hit some same notes and more but whatever I do it just sounds really bad or it makes all my solos sound the same.

Another problem I have is sometimes I have some ideas in my mind on licks but I cannot translate them into the Guitar so I try to find them by hitting note per note.

I've been trying to play using a lot the backing tracks but for making solos I just cannot simple make it and is frustrating.

I will try to record myself later to give an example on what I'm trying to say.

Some help would be nice! Thank you.

Also if some soul feels like helping me privately here is my Discord ID :

Keys#0674

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/07/2019 1:35 pm
Originally Posted by: Keys_I've made a post before about how I'm tracking my progress to keep myself motivated (back when I was at 65 Hours in), on top of that I've made a blog so I can write about my progress and post some covers that I've learned.[/quote]

Hey, that's great! I listened to your audio recordings. It sounds like you are making great progress! :)

Breaking The Law sounds pretty good! Living After Midnight sounds like you are struggling with keeping up with the riff at that tempo. Smells Like Teen Spirit sounds good until you get to the solo.

It sounds like you are doing well with power chord riffing. Need a little more work on timing. But overall pretty solid! Well done!

Originally Posted by: Keys_Back when I made my first I was told that I should check the lessons of Christopher Schlegel on Improvisation for Beginnners. Problem is that at the moment that seems a bit advanced for me since I only know some licks as I'm right now on "Rock Style 1 - Chapter 4: Riffs, Licks and Themes".[/quote]

It sounds like the single note melody lines, the solo lines, are where you are still struggling. For example in the Teen Spirit solo, you need to take some time to just drill those notes over & again until they are second nature.

Often it helps to just play that series of notes over & again without worrying about tempo or playing with the song. Just get those physical motions under your fingers. You need to be able to play those notes like second nature so you can focus on where you are in the song & listen for when to play the melody without having to worry about which notes you are playing. Make sense?

With that in mind my improv series might still be a little beyond your current skill level. Sounds like you might get there soon! But patience & a little more work will be required!

As a pre-requisite to those improvisation tutorials, try these tutorials on simple licks. You will get a lot of milage from those basic licks as building blocks. They start with the simple repetition of a phrase, then gradually get more complex & targeting chord tones!

Basic Blues Licks Series 1

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=723

Basic Blues Licks Series 2

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2337

Basic Blues Licks Series 3

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2345

[quote=Keys_]My problem is that while I've learned some licks, I cannot for some reason modify them, I try to but they just sound off, I try different combinations or trying to hit some same notes and more but whatever I do it just sounds really bad or it makes all my solos sound the same.

You have to walk before you run! I really think the biggest problem you have here is simply getting some of these things firmly under your command: scale patterns, some basic licks & the physical motions of playing single string, one note at a time lines.

You need to be able to play any series of notes you want like second nature before you can worry about using them at will, mixing & matching, improvising with them. Especially when you say this:

[quote=Keys_]

Another problem I have is sometimes I have some ideas in my mind on licks but I cannot translate them into the Guitar so I try to find them by hitting note per note.

[p]We all have that problem! :) You can imagine how the notes sounds. But without acquiring the physical dexterity required to play them in real time, they will just remain in your imagination.

Take your time to work on those simple licks. Play the solo to Teen Spirit over & again just as a series of mechanical motions. Repetitious practice is what you are after here.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Keys_
Keys_
12/09/2019 1:31 am

Thank you so much for your feedback! And I'm really sorry for such late reply, I've been following everything you've told me by the letter.

Also I'm training a lot by playing over and over the licks from Basic Blues Licks Series 1 until it becomes second nature as you've said.

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel You have to walk before you run!

Thank you so much, I didn't really thought it that way and I might rushed a bit too much, I will get into practicing more and get more things under my command before worrying on running.

Again, thank you a lot for all the help!!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/09/2019 12:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Keys_

Thank you so much for your feedback! And I'm really sorry for such late reply, I've been following everything you've told me by the letter.

[/quote]

You're welcome! No worries on replying. Reply when you can, ask more when you need to. That's what the forum is for!

[quote=Keys_]

Thank you so much, I didn't really thought it that way and I might rushed a bit too much, I will get into practicing more and get more things under my command before worrying on running.

Sounds like you understand what you need to work on & are working on it. Good deal. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
12/11/2019 9:14 pm

Coming up on my one year anniversary of guitar study in February. Some days, I can't believe how far I've come and how much I've learned. Other days, I feel as though I am playing the same things over and over and over and over and that all of my "improv" sounds the same. Then I think about all of these famous artists and, while I am certain that they can (and do) play lots of different stuff, how they play the same body of music for their entire careers and have to be excited and committed every time they play. The more that I play and learn, the more I appreciate the work that Chris and all of the other instructors put in to these lessons and playing all of the basic pieces in small parts and slowly, over and over, so that we can learn.

# 5
Joe105
Joe105
12/11/2019 9:47 pm
Originally Posted by: sgautier8th

The more that I play and learn, the more I appreciate the work that Chris and all of the other instructors put in to these lessons and playing all of the basic pieces in small parts and slowly, over and over, so that we can learn.

+1

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/12/2019 1:35 pm
Originally Posted by: sgautier8th

Coming up on my one year anniversary of guitar study in February.[/quote][p]Congrats! You've accomplished a great deal!

Originally Posted by: sgautier8thOther days, I feel as though I am playing the same things over and over and over and over and that all of my "improv" sounds the same.

Yeah, that happens to all of us. :)[br][quote=sgautier8th][p]The more that I play and learn, the more I appreciate the work that Chris and all of the other instructors put in to these lessons and playing all of the basic pieces in small parts and slowly, over and over, so that we can learn.

Hey, thanks for noticing. I very much enjoy the opportunity to play & teach guitar. It's never something I take for granted.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
Keys_
Keys_
12/13/2019 12:32 am

@sgautier8th that gives me hope! The main reason I made my blog was so if I felt down I could look back and see how much I've improved. And to push myself further by posting things I've done so I don't slack.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.