Is it just me or is it very hard to play

sheldonmenez303
sheldonmenez303
12/06/2019 3:05 pm

Is it a natural transition to go from sitting down to standing up? I’ve learned guitar while sitting and holding the body close to my chest so the fretboard is very close to me. While I’m standing up, I feel like the fretboard is too far away and I can’t really form chords properly and strumming just feels awkward and I can’t quite get it. Is it just me? Do I need to get a strap that’s tighter so the fretboard is much closer to me?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/06/2019 3:35 pm

For me its like learning all over again. Its tough. I play sitting down.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/06/2019 4:51 pm

Is it a natural transition to go from sitting down to standing up? IMO, not so much.

Granted, over the years these musicians and others vary the way they hold the instrument and sometimes I think it's more to do with fashion (what looks good or cool). Still the important thing is to hold the guitar in a way that allows for fretboard access, proper position of the fret hand and ease and comfort of playing. After that, it's up to you.

Good luck, have fun.

john

Oh yeah... the size of the guitar and one's own body size and shape comes into play too

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
therealjaytait
Full Access
therealjaytait
Full Access
12/13/2019 11:18 pm

I found that wearing a guitar strap while sitting so that the guitar was in the same position as it is when I am standing was helpful. You kind of end up with the body of the guitar between your legs while sitting, kind of like a classical guitar player. The upside is it seemed to take the pressure away from the wrist of my fretting hand.

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/14/2019 3:54 am
Originally Posted by: therealjaytait

I found that wearing a guitar strap while sitting so that the guitar was in the same position as it is when I am standing was helpful. You kind of end up with the body of the guitar between your legs while sitting, kind of like a classical guitar player. The upside is it seemed to take the pressure away from the wrist of my fretting hand.

Yup, yup and yup. That's the way I play; sitting, always with a strap, guitar between my legs in a modified classical position. I adopted that when I started playing a large dreadnaught and found the guitar too big to comfortably reach around in the 'normal' position. Moreover, the higher, raised position of the neck gives me better reach, I believe.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.