One year anniversary

jarrettclopton
jarrettclopton
06/01/2019 9:23 pm

June 15th marks one year of playing. I can't believe it has already been a whole year.

I still average about twenty hours a week of play and I think I've gotten pretty good. I started my journey with a Fender Squire and a Frontman 10g. A few weeks ago my wife bought me a Gibson SG (Pelham blue), and a Boss Katana 50. The sound is such an improvement over the Frontman and the Champion 20 which I bought around four months in.

Thank you Guitar Tricks for helping me realize my dream of becoming a guitar player. While I'm still not where I would like to be I know now that it's only a matter of time.

Lately I've been learning a lot of Ghost songs and last week I actually learned an entire song in two days which is crazy fast for me.

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
06/02/2019 2:13 am

Sweet!!!!

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/02/2019 4:09 pm

Congrats Jarrett. Nice SG.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
jarrettclopton
jarrettclopton
06/02/2019 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Sweet!!!!

She's always been very supportative of my endeavours. I nicknamed the guitar "ash" after my wife, Ashley. :)

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
06/02/2019 9:16 pm

Keepers ...both. Lucky man.

I really do love your Gibson SG BTW. Envious, in the nicest positive sense. My compliments to your wife on her excellent taste.

# 5
jarrettclopton
jarrettclopton
06/02/2019 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Keepers ...both. Lucky man.

I really do love your Gibson SG BTW. Envious, in the nicest positive sense. My compliments to your wife on her excellent taste.

I was honestly really surprised by how different the guitar felt to play. The frets are smoother making slides much easier. I believe the neck is slightly wider too, which is nice.

I own an Epiphone Les Paul also, it's really nice but heavy as heck.

I take it your a Les Paul player by your avatar.

# 6
manXcat
manXcat
06/02/2019 11:47 pm

Know that feeling about relative playability characteristics. It'll surprise you sometimes. Price isn't always an indicator either IME.

No comparison between the weight of the SG and LP or the physical balance regardless they are both Mahogany bodies. It's just the sheer bulk of the LP body with such a dense wood. I remember my SG, and was really surprised with my LP which was my first of type. And, mine isn't even a full thickness body LP, but a thinner Custom with cutaways as well. The real McCoys are utter backbreakers. Need to be 6'4", built like and oak with the spine and back muscles of an 18 year old gymnast to stand on stage and perform with them for more than 20 minutes.

Interesting that there's a noticeable difference in fret finish. You can polish your Epi frets to that same smoothness with some masking tape sandpaper and polish. It'd be interesting to know if they are both the same fret material from the same source supplier. Unlikely if one is made in Asia and the other in the USA. Even with the same hypothetical material, i.e. nickel alloy, not all alloys are equal IME. Some are soft AF. The quality really counts when it comes to wear especially.

No not a LP man particularly. They're all just different tools on the toolboard. I like its shorter scale, tones, and cosmetic aesthetic, but the high weight, awkward body shape fit when sitting, and utterly rubbish neck to body balance are offputting. Even with some of them corrected AFAP, can't get away from the fact that its definitely illustrative of a design hailing from an earlier first generation era with all its flaws. In my book, Leo got his first attempt with the Broadcaster/Telecaster 'righter'.

If I had to choose one guitar type from my toolbox, it'd probably be a contemporary HSS Strat style for its tonal versatility, comfort and all round playability. My personal favourites to hold, play and manipulate tones on though is a contemporary Tele style with thinner body and cutaways like my Cort Manson Stage Series Classic TC.

[br]With amps like your Katana, there's so much one can do with any guitar these days to manipulate tones, and the guitar which fits like the proverbial kid glove is the one we'll alway find ourselves subliminally suddenly jamming away and exploring on without conscious thought or effort IME.

# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/03/2019 3:36 pm

Lucky man to have a wife that's so supportive. Mine is too but I do think I've stretched the limits of the 'I don't think I need any more guitars...'...I've had to amend that to 'I don't need any more guitars this year...' She still gives me the 'Um, right' look ....though not too seriously. She's a music lover, learning instruments herself and totally gets me and guitars.

With that said, it's all about the playing. Great that you're really digging playing. There's a point when it 'clicks'. It may not be a lightening bolt moment, or it might. For me, I got it pretty early on with a 'hey, I really think I can do this...'. It's funny because you will always have those moments throughout your playing. Like learning the Ghost song quickly. It happens when you successfully expand to something new. You also become less fearful of learning something new.

Ya just gotta get over that first hump to the revelation that you are now a player. That first hill is the hardest and once you're over, it all becomes less scary and you build more confidence as you go along.

Glad you're having fun!

# 8
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/03/2019 4:56 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

to the revelation that you are now a player. That first hill is the hardest and once you're over, it all becomes less scary and you build more confidence as you go along.

You are so on the money Jeff. I still remember telling my wife a few weeks ago that I am now a guitar player! I may not be a very good guitar player, but I am playing songs!

And for the ultimate chuckle I taught a friend how to play Highway to Hell just last Friday. how insane is that?!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 9
lisakokey
lisakokey
06/11/2019 6:05 am

Hello there.

So you average 5 hours a night playing guitar.

Omg..thats alot!!!!

I would live to see your practice plan.

Do you use the guitar tricks website to get all your guitar info???

Thanks for your time

Lisa L...

# 10
henrydouglas
henrydouglas
06/11/2019 3:44 pm

nice,very nice HNGD

# 11
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
06/18/2019 4:50 am

How far along in the lessons have you gotten? I'm guessing at 20 hours/week you must be pretty far along.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.