Fingering for Neo-soul track

Ianelrick
Ianelrick
03/30/2022 5:35 pm

Hi, I am trying to learn a neo soul track and seem to be doing quite well apart from 3 bars right at the start. It is fine when a bit slower but when I try to go at the correct speed, I am getting poor contact on the ring finger (usually g string) and also the pinkie (usually top e string).

Does anyone have any views on best fret hand fingering for this? I have included mine in the red characters in the picture as follows:

I=Index finger

M-middle finger - never used

R=Ring finger

P=pinkie/little finger

Does the fingering look ok and its just a matter of keep practicing slower?

Thanks in advance.

# 1
Ianelrick
Ianelrick
03/30/2022 5:40 pm

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2022 2:52 pm
Originally Posted by: IanelrickIt is fine when a bit slower but when I try to go at the correct speed, I am getting poor contact on the ring finger (usually g string) and also the pinkie (usually top e string).[/quote]

Holding down that triad & adding a finger to do embellishments on the E string usually requires moving your thumb to adjust your overall grip on the neck.

When I do some of those I put my thumb closer to the treble strings (the "bottom") in order have the leverage to reach the strings. Alternately, on other licks I move my thumb back closer to the bass side of the neck (the "top", almost hanging over near the low E string).

Watch how I adjust my thumb to play various R&B licks on the upper strings in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=18888&s_id=1454

It will be helpful for you experiment with thumb placement to see if it helps you play the parts you are working on.

Originally Posted by: IanelrickDoes anyone have any views on best fret hand fingering for this?[/quote]

The first 2 phrases look okay. But, I'd start using my ring finger to do the E string hammer-on, pull-off starting at the 8-10-8 fret. Defintely the higher ones. There's not enough space in those higher strings when the frets get closer for me.

[quote=Ianelrick]

[p]Practicing slower will always help. But this is also a matter of efficiency of motion. You need to aim for the smoothest, most natural & efficient motion to play any musical phrase. So, I encourage you to experiement with using your ring finger on those higher frets.

Hope that helps!

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Ianelrick
Ianelrick
04/08/2022 8:27 pm

This is Awesome. Thanks

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: IanelrickIt is fine when a bit slower but when I try to go at the correct speed, I am getting poor contact on the ring finger (usually g string) and also the pinkie (usually top e string).[/quote]

Holding down that triad & adding a finger to do embellishments on the E string usually requires moving your thumb to adjust your overall grip on the neck.

When I do some of those I put my thumb closer to the treble strings (the "bottom") in order have the leverage to reach the strings. Alternately, on other licks I move my thumb back closer to the bass side of the neck (the "top", almost hanging over near the low E string).

Watch how I adjust my thumb to play various R&B licks on the upper strings in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=18888&s_id=1454

It will be helpful for you experiment with thumb placement to see if it helps you play the parts you are working on.

Originally Posted by: IanelrickDoes anyone have any views on best fret hand fingering for this?[/quote]

The first 2 phrases look okay. But, I'd start using my ring finger to do the E string hammer-on, pull-off starting at the 8-10-8 fret. Defintely the higher ones. There's not enough space in those higher strings when the frets get closer for me.

[quote=Ianelrick]

[p]Practicing slower will always help. But this is also a matter of efficiency of motion. You need to aim for the smoothest, most natural & efficient motion to play any musical phrase. So, I encourage you to experiement with using your ring finger on those higher frets.

Hope that helps!

Thanks in advance.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/09/2022 1:59 pm
Originally Posted by: Ianelrick

This is Awesome. Thanks

[p]You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.