08/01/2020 1:06 am

Let's say I'm playing a Gsus7 Chord like this:

e - x

B - 3

G - 5

D - 3

A - x

E - 3

My pinky mutes the B string D note big time. As I slide this shape up the neck of the guitar, I'm only able to hear the B string note as I approach the Bsus7 or Csus7 chords.

I'm hoping this is a common problem. I'm guessing there isn't an easy solution to fretting it to get all the notes to ring out.

I guess I'm just posting to see if others have/had this problem and to see if I'm missing something when I try to play it.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/01/2020 2:59 pm
Originally Posted by: derektrimmer

Let's say I'm playing a Gsus7 Chord like this:

e - x

B - 3

G - 5

D - 3

A - x

E - 3

My pinky mutes the B string D note big time.[/quote]

How are you fretting that? You could just barre the 3rd fret, then add your ring finger to the 5th fret. Or it might give your pinky enough clearance to miss the D & B strings below & above. Play the bass note with your thumb (or pick if you are hybird picking) & the other strings with your remining fingers.

If you want to play each note with one finger, then you're definitely in for a workout. :) I just tried it & realized if I added the 5th of the chord on the A string (5th fret) I could easily just barre it. Also, it gets easier to play further up the fretboard where the frets are closer together.

Originally Posted by: derektrimmerAs I slide this shape up the neck of the guitar, I'm only able to hear the B string note as I approach the Bsus7 or Csus7 chords.[/quote]

What song is this part of?

[quote=derektrimmer]I'm hoping this is a common problem.

I'm not sure that's a commonly used chord. :) If you're playing it in a band context, then the bass player is likely holding down the root, so you really only need the upper voicings anyway. That's makes for an easy solution!

[quote=derektrimmer]I'm guessing there isn't an easy solution to fretting it to get all the notes to ring out.

I guess I'm just posting to see if others have/had this problem and to see if I'm missing something when I try to play it.

I use that all fingers type of voicing on this lesson. But I'm only playing the stadard dominant 7th chord.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=30255&s_id=2595

I'm guessing if you insist on using the all fingers approach then you can use this as a practice template & just keep working on stretching that pinky until you can get it!

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
derektrimmer
derektrimmer
08/01/2020 10:42 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm just starting to learn jazz chords. I never thought about a barre :)

I'm fretting it with one finger per note. So it would be:

e - x

B - 3 ring

G - 5 pinky

D - 3 middle

A - x[br]E - 3 index

The chord isn't part of a song. I just wrote out a series of 7th chords (Major7, minor7, Dom7, Sus7, Aug7, m7b5, dim7, minMaj7) and I ended up writing a Asus7 chord which I then really struggled to fret. I'm glad to hear this is not a common voicing/commonly used chord.

I'm not sure how much I need to have this chord in my repertoire. I just stumbled across it and it threw me. I'll check out your video later tonight.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/02/2020 2:32 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm just starting to learn jazz chords. I never thought about a barre :)[/quote]

Good deal!

e - x

B - 3 ring

G - 5 pinky

D - 3 middle

A - x[br]E - 3 index

[/quote]

Yes, that's the standard fingering.

[quote=derektrimmer]The chord isn't part of a song. I just wrote out a series of 7th chords (Major7, minor7, Dom7, Sus7, Aug7, m7b5, dim7, minMaj7) and I ended up writing a Asus7 chord which I then really struggled to fret. I'm glad to hear this is not a common voicing/commonly used chord.

That's a good list of extended chords typically used in jazz. Have you seen my series of tutorials cover this? I put them in typical chord progressions with backing track play alongs.

https://www.guitartricks.com/search.php?query=%22extended+harmony+chords+series%22

And I have several other tutorials on jazz style.

[quote=derektrimmer]I'm not sure how much I need to have this chord in my repertoire. I just stumbled across it and it threw me. I'll check out your video later tonight.

It can't hurt to know lots of chords & expand you knowledge & skills. But it's just as important to priortize & learn things you know that you will use on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.