Thumb positioning

Igcuimhne81
Igcuimhne81
07/05/2020 11:14 pm

Hi

Im practising power chords in F2 and Im having some difficulty with the correct positioning of my ring finger on the frets. It keeps getting a dull or buzz sound.

So I have noticed that the positioning of my thumb is generally in a relaxed, near vertical position at the back of the fret board. So I am trying to position the thumb in a more horizontal position at the back to perhaps give fret fingers a more rigid positon for the power chords.

It hasnt yielded any sigificant improvement so I'm curious as to what position the thumb is for other players for 6th and 5th string power chords. If it is generally relaxed vertical then I can stop trying the rigid horizontal.

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Ig81

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
07/06/2020 12:35 am
Originally Posted by: Igcuimhne81

Hi

Im practising power chords in F2 and Im having some difficulty with the correct positioning of my ring finger on the frets. It keeps getting a dull or buzz sound.

So I have noticed that the positioning of my thumb is generally in a relaxed, near vertical position at the back of the fret board. So I am trying to position the thumb in a more horizontal position at the back to perhaps give fret fingers a more rigid positon for the power chords.

It hasnt yielded any sigificant improvement so I'm curious as to what position the thumb is for other players for 6th and 5th string power chords. If it is generally relaxed vertical then I can stop trying the rigid horizontal.

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Ig81

This is a great question. I had to grab my guitar and actually check this because I've never analyzed it.

Answer: it actually varies. When playing low on the neck, my thumb is generally opposite my index finger. If I were to slide waaaay up the neck, my thumb extends far out.

This crazy shift in thumb position has to do with the angle of your palm when that close to your body, since your hand is actually in front of your body by that point. BUT if you happen to sit with your guitar on your left leg instead (like a classical guitarist) you can get a flatter hand angle and more room when up high on the neck. You might notice a lot of lead guitarists (when playing up high on the neck) will boost their guitar up way higher almost to their chest, and point the neck UP, to get a better angle / access to the high frets.

Also: some people do this (Mike Olekshy), and I'm also one of them: I almost always play power chords with my index and pinky. I find it less awkward and get a more solid grip.

Thanks for posting the very interesting question that was worth exploring! Hope it somehow helps.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
Igcuimhne81
Igcuimhne81
07/06/2020 9:09 pm

Thank you Carl, that is a great help.

I looked again at both high and low positions on fretboard and my thumb positions itself as you have set out.

Im also pretty comfortable using pinky and index for power chords so I am happy to carry on with that. I will still practice the with the ring finger, but I dont have to get too hung up on it now!

Ig81

# 3
Carl King
Carl King
07/06/2020 9:29 pm

Cool! I should also add that I've found playing power chords with the pinky gives me some more room for playing other chord shapes.

For example, if you start with a C power chord on the 3rd fret, and you drop your index down one fret to B you now have a 2nd inversion of a G chord (notes B and G, with B on the bottom). Totally common move in punk and alternative metal. Harder to do if you're using index and ring. Although index and ring is easier if you're going to add the pinky on and do an old rock n roll / blues boogie pattern.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.