Weird Advantage I discovered

KellyAM
KellyAM
10/15/2019 4:23 am

So today I was going thru Lisa's basic lessons and after she teaches 4 songs and I was having issues going back and forth to Am.

So while she was talking, I dropped the pick and was playing random simple chords with just the side of my thumb. Oddly, my left hand suddenly started functioning 10x better! I can't explain it but when I was strumming with just my thumb I had absolutely no problem shifting from chord to chord.

So tomorrow I'm thinking about trying the pick that wraps around the thumb, because eventually I want to learn how to play metal music and I'm thinking a pick is eventually going to be needed. Anyone else notice this?

Getting back into guitar after lengthy lessons when I was a kid. Starting over with an electric guitar. My ultimate goal is to learn how to play Thunderstruck!

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/15/2019 6:43 pm

Hi KellyAm,

That's a very interesting observation! I learned how to play guitar mostly without using a pick, but eventually I had to pick it up for fast-riffs, and note-picking etc.

I can't say that my left hand performs better when I'm not using a pick, but it may be a brain thing that is far too complex for me to understand. Seems like a cool discovery for you.

Let us know how it goes when you use a pick again!

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
KellyAM
KellyAM
10/29/2019 11:12 pm

After working on and off with the picks, thumbpicks and straight thumbs, I realized while it may seem easier, I'm better off learning to use the pick because I think it sounds better.

Getting back into guitar after lengthy lessons when I was a kid. Starting over with an electric guitar. My ultimate goal is to learn how to play Thunderstruck!

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/01/2019 2:13 pm
Originally Posted by: KellyAM

After working on and off with the picks, thumbpicks and straight thumbs, I realized while it may seem easier, I'm better off learning to use the pick because I think it sounds better.

Another tip; try a lot of different picks. Dunlop makes variety packs. Spend a fewe bucks on a couple of variety packs and try different picks out. I had been using only one pick for decades (small, very stiff Dunlop Jazz III) but needed to get picks now that are more amenable to strumming (Jazz III's are not ideal for strumming). Because my long term (small) pick was so comfortable to me, playing a standard sized pick was like a dinner plate. So, I got a variety pack and have been trying different picks.

Point for you is that the pick stiffness and also the style you're playing might do well to find a pick that matches you.

# 4
KellyAM
KellyAM
11/01/2019 3:00 pm

You know what, I was kind of hastey when I selected my bag of picks at the store, these are pretty stiff so they hit pretty hard which is what I was thinking I'd need for a metal genre. But since I'm following the fundamental tracks right now, that might not be such a great idea.[br][br]When I was at the store picking out my guitar, the sales guy handed me his pick to play with and it was so flexible it was like strumming with a piece of thin cardboard. They can be a little pricey if you just buy a pack of each kind but since you mentioned it, I'll look for a variety pack--that might actually cure a few of my minor frustrations--thanks!

# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/01/2019 6:03 pm
Originally Posted by: KellyAM

You know what, I was kind of hastey when I selected my bag of picks at the store, these are pretty stiff so they hit pretty hard which is what I was thinking I'd need for a metal genre. But since I'm following the fundamental tracks right now, that might not be such a great idea.[br][br]When I was at the store picking out my guitar, the sales guy handed me his pick to play with and it was so flexible it was like strumming with a piece of thin cardboard. They can be a little pricey if you just buy a pack of each kind but since you mentioned it, I'll look for a variety pack--that might actually cure a few of my minor frustrations--thanks!

My suggestion is to get a pack of regular picks to have forw hen you need to strum.

However, if you're going to play metal. This Jazz III's I'm talking about, that would be the kind of pick you're looking for. Link>>

I was a metal shredder for years. I'm old now and my music streaming has all kinds of metal. My playing has mellowed. For my metal shredding days, I lived by the Dunlop Jazz III's. They are smalland point and are great for precision playing. Having a very stiff pick may seem like it is hard to use, but it's not. It takes a little getting used to but if you're practicing whatever metal song you're jamming on, this is a pick that will get you that dig and agression you're eventually going to want.

So, try the Jazz picks and then get some of the normal sized, standard picks for strumming stuff you might need.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.