Help on blues arpeggios

lorenzo.cerolini
lorenzo.cerolini
04/15/2019 5:27 pm

Hello players and teachers,[br][br]I'd like an advice on how to play in the style of the video I'm attaching. It's a traditional song everybody knows but I like the way the band plays this version. [br][br]Is there any lesson on how to get to play this style? I'm talking specifically about the blues arpeggios and I would like to know the theory behind it to be able to start building my own instead of just copy them by ear.[br][br]Thanks in advance[br]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPmBZ7ncTk0

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/17/2019 8:31 pm
Originally Posted by: lorenzo.cerolini[br]I'd like an advice on how to play in the style of the video I'm attaching. It's a traditional song everybody knows but I like the way the band plays this version.

There are 2 guitars in that arrangement. One is playing arpeggios of dominant 7th chords. A second guitar sounds like it's playing a boom chick pattern. Both have a tremolo effect. Kind of like this.

Guitar 1

|----------0-------0---------|[br]|-------3---3--------3-------|[br]|--0h1--------1--------1----|[br]|------------------------------|[br]|------------------------------|[br]|--0-----------0--------------|

Guitar 2

|------0-----0-----0----0----|[br]|------0-----0-----0----0----|[br]|------1-----1-----1----1----|[br]|------2-----2-----2----2----|[br]|------2-----2-----2----2----|[br]|--0------0-----0-----0------|

This is closer to country style. In order to do both at the same time you'd have to do some kind of Travis picking. Anders does a great job of showing how to do Travis picking in the Country course.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2357

Anders also has a great tutorial on ragtime style that kind of gets that vibe but on acoustic guitar.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=975

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
lorenzo.cerolini
lorenzo.cerolini
04/22/2019 2:56 pm

Thanks Christopher! Those tutorials are really helpful to try nail this style, even though I have one more thing to clarify. [br]How do you come up with those arpeggios on the Dominant 7th chords? Do you just play chord tones in a way that gives that kind of sound? By the example you played I could figure those are notes of an E7 chord but played in different order, if i'm right.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/22/2019 6:42 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: lorenzo.cerolini

How do you come up with those arpeggios on the Dominant 7th chords?[/quote][p]I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking how did I decide on those notes, I just tried to show what it sounds like is happening in the song you linked.

If you mean, how do you decide in general, then it's up to you! Play all the dominant 7th chord shapes & inversions you can & experiment with them. See what you like the sound of. :)[br][quote=lorenzo.cerolini]Do you just play chord tones in a way that gives that kind of sound? By the example you played I could figure those are notes of an E7 chord but played in different order, if i'm right.

Yes, just try to mimic the sound you want to create. Yes, the first guitar part I tabbed is an E7 arpeggiated & also with an ornamentation of a minor 3rd to major 3rd for an added bluesy sound.

That voicing is typical for bluesy type groove because you get the low bass note along with the upper strings for high register.

The second guitar is just a E major chord using a boom chick strumming pattern.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
lorenzo.cerolini
lorenzo.cerolini
04/23/2019 11:02 am

"If you mean, how do you decide in general, then it's up to you! Play all the dominant 7th chord shapes & inversions you can & experiment with them. See what you like the sound of. :)"[br][br][br]Yes, that's what i was looking for :) [br][br]"Yes, the first guitar part I tabbed is an E7 arpeggiated & also with an ornamentation of a minor 3rd to major 3rd for an added bluesy sound."[br][br]I will look further into this and experiment, i need to get on inversions and voicings but now is much more clear. Thanks again

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.