Who do you sound like, and who do you wan't to sound like?

Joseph
Joseph
04/04/2001 10:09 pm
I think the reason theres so much rock and rap in the mainstreem today, is because the major record excutives can't find a a singer who can carry more than a few notes. So its easier to rap, instead of training your voice to match the main guitar sounds... And he reason why rock and rap has become so acceptable is because its always in your face.

Its really embarrassing when you have some rather decent guitarists coming out, (who have developed their own unque style) and they forced to collaborate with a mealy-mouth rapper, instead of an accomplished singer who can really take your sounds to a whole new level. [i]Don't get me wrong, there are some decent rock and rap groups here and there, but it just gets too much after a while where you can't help wondering why there aren't too many good singers out today...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/04/2001 10:30 pm
I know, I'm so aggervated by the rock/rap crap. Come on their has to be somebody out there who can teach these metal head rappers wannabes to sing.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 2
Blues Legend
Blues Legend
04/05/2001 5:04 pm
Although I've only been playing for about 5 years, I've tried to keep an open mind about musical styles, and have brought influences from different genres. But in the end, I always end up sounding like one of two men........Hendrix or Stevie Ray. That is who I sound like, BUT who I want to sound like is kinda one big mix including.......Jimi, SRV, Clapton, Brent Mason, and Yngwie. i feel that this collaboration of styles would allow for endless possibilities and could encompass all musical desires. But thats just my opinion.....lemme know what you think....
...:::Josh:::...
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/05/2001 5:55 pm

I think that these days more and more guitarists are branching out and exploring different stlyes and influences in an effort to get away from the "same old, same old". The current drop tuning phase is one of these. First, everyone was drop tuning to D . . . and now they're drop tuning to C in an effort to get a 'dirtier' sound. What's next? . . . a drop tune to A?

Anyway, the point is that most guitarists want to sound original and don't want to sound like someone else. Unfortunately, this is pretty hard to achieve.

When I first started playing I mostly played blues and some rock. But since then I've branched out and gained influences from classical, jazz, flamenco, etc. Most of the time, however, I end up sounding like some kind of hideous hybrid between Vai and Kenny Wayne Sheepherder.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.