View post (Who do you sound like, and who do you wan't to sound like?)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
02/14/2001 12:33 am
Originally posted by Raskolnikov

Anyway, I don't want to sound like anybody in paticular but me. I want to have a style that stands out all on it's own and redefines what people think bass can and should do.
::snicker::
yeah, right. [/B]

Over the past several years Ive been absorbing so many different techniques when it comes the guitar, and from the very beginning although I knew what I liked to hear I wasn't 100 percent sure what type of music I felt comfortable playing as well as calling my own. Personally, I never really wanted to stick to one particular style, Ive just always tried to borrow certain key elements from others, and for the most part my sound is natural (but its safe to say its a cross between Eric Clapton and Kim Thayil. Clapton's precision, and Thayil's implusiveness. Its one thing when you can define your own style, but when others start noticing, thats really a great compliment. I think its safe to say that almost every serious musician has tried to sound like Hendrix, although Ive tried (and I swear I can play a mean Voo Doo child), I'm not quite there yet. I think I'm up for a little bit more soul searching. No matter how far Ive gotten over the past several years, no matter how technically proficient ve become, I'm never quite satisfied and Ive used this driving force to my advantage.

[Edited by Joseph on 02-13-2001 at 08:02 PM]
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."