"Your Tricks"

Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
05/09/2004 4:59 pm
Just something I wanted to get off my chest.... it seems to me that 80% of the stuff posted on the "your tricks" section of the site is a complete waste of time.

1. People tabbing and playing bits of songs is pointless, it's not a trick, anyone can download the tab and learn it, so whats the point in posting it?

2. What's the point of posting a scale run as a trick unless it's interesting and different. There are so many people posting scale runs it's getting annoying, it's been done a billion times. If it has a wierd time signature or odd/interesting note groupings that's cool, but if not, it's not worth taking the time to record.

3.Why post a trick unless you can play it properly youself on the recording?

Just a few things that were annoying me, hope I didn't offend anyone too badly :rolleyes:

- J
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2004 8:36 pm
We are in the process of sorting this out however it is a long and grueling thankless task. There is however a lot of good stuff in there particularly in the various host's sections so finding someone you like and looking at all the stuff they have posted can be a rewarding searching strategy.

Hope this helps and like everything else a little perseverance often goes a long way!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/09/2004 8:39 pm
Originally Posted by: JamiephofeJust something I wanted to get off my chest.... it seems to me that 80% of the stuff posted on the "your tricks" section of the site is a complete waste of time.

1. People tabbing and playing bits of songs is pointless, it's not a trick, anyone can download the tab and learn it, so whats the point in posting it?

2. What's the point of posting a scale run as a trick unless it's interesting and different. There are so many people posting scale runs it's getting annoying, it's been done a billion times. If it has a wierd time signature or odd/interesting note groupings that's cool, but if not, it's not worth taking the time to record.

Just a few things that were annoying me, hope I didn't offend anyone too badly :rolleyes:

- J

the term "tricks" is not to be taken too literal. if guitartricks was like that, then there would be like 20 tricks and thats it, for how many "tricks" are there for guitar apart from those almost every guitarist knows like divebombs, squeals and whatnot?

i do agree on your points 2 and 3 though.. but not with 1 because
i would have to close my section, for it consists mostly of complete transcriptions of various songs. no "tricks" whatsoever.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
05/09/2004 9:40 pm
Oh yeah, I forgot your section is mostly transcriptions Azrael.

Then again that's not the same as posting "The unforgiven" by Metallica, or "smells like teen spirit" by Nirvana. Transcriptions arn't a waste of time because you didn't just copy and paste someone elses tab. If someone went to the trouble of transcribing the song, that's cool. But I don't think anyone would have too much trouble with some of the songs posted.

But yeah, I see what you mean about point 1. The emphasis was meant to be on posting seriously popular songs that everyone knows. That and the fact i'd just done a 9 hour shift at work and was grumpy, lol.

- J
# 4
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/10/2004 9:05 pm
Why not making undercatagoriez when you click on "your tricks" (which maybe should be renamed).

- Scales
- Songs
- Solos
- Wierd sounds
- etc.

Perhaps that would ease the navigation..
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 5
alucard0941
alucard0941
06/02/2004 3:30 am
What does Your Tricks actually mean?

My tricks?????

LOL, its a dumb question but iv been wondering :p
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
06/21/2004 6:13 pm
Here are some tricks that I use......

Try holding a cell phone or a pager up to the pickups. Different types will produce different strange noises. My pager makes a beeping sound, while my cell phone will produce a very strange noise that sounds like a cross between feedback and harmonics.....I stumbled across this when I had my pager on while I was playing. It took me a while to figure out where the beeping was comeing from. This made me try holding every battery powered think I owned up to the pickups.

Allen wrenches used as a slide makes a weird sound too. Not my trick, Tom Morello of Rage against uses this trick. Tom Morello is the king of guitar tricks.

Use a mic stand as a slide.......

I'll add more tricks later.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
Digit
Digit
06/21/2004 6:29 pm
Another really great trick is to put a small splice in the AC power cord of your amplifier. When you're in the middle of a solo, grab the bare wires and hang on tight. The light show you get is incredible and the smoke and stuff coming off your vibrating body is awesome. It only works once though so you need a really good supply of guitar players.
# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/23/2004 5:25 am
My amp can pick up NPR (National Public Radio), if I turn it on while my PS2 controller is sitting on top of it. I found out about one time when I was piss-wasted and needless to say, I thought the thing was posessed.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 9
HDJ
HDJ
06/24/2004 9:32 pm
The other guitar player in my band can tune in a mexican radio station with his wah pedal........strange, but cool.

Here are a couple of other tricks I've learned over the years.

Use Morse code as a rhythm for a song. Rush did that with YYZ. That's what the weird intro is, Morse code saying YYZ.

Push the whammy bar down as far as you can until the strings magnetically stick to the pickups.

I have a boss pitch shifter. I set it on pitch shift (not harmonize) and turn the knob back and forth while letting a note ring out. This is another Tom Morello trick.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 10
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
06/25/2004 7:49 pm
I also got some radio station using the wah pedal.

Putting a slide over the pickups on the strings is weird too, especially with some delay while turning the "delay time" back and forth.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 11
PlayLoud
PlayLoud
08/21/2004 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: JamiephofeJust something I wanted to get off my chest.... it seems to me that 80% of the stuff posted on the "your tricks" section of the site is a complete waste of time.

- J

Actually, that's not nearly as annoying as some practical jokers that i've seen out there. There was this one guy for instance who didn't post any guitar tab or lesson whatsoever, but instead made a lousy joke about "his penis having scales" or something. And this in the "Guitar Tricks" section. I swear, some people could use a serious beating...
# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/21/2004 11:23 pm
Originally Posted by: PlayLoud... And this in the "Guitar Tricks" section. I swear, some people could use a serious beating...
[font=trebuchet ms]'Can be arranged. :mad: Link, please?[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
PlayLoud
PlayLoud
08/22/2004 6:01 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]'Can be arranged. :mad: Link, please?[/font]

Sorry, I didn't bother to look at the link/name at that time (It was in the Scales section I think). I can't find it now. Maybe it got deleted, which is for the best.

It's REALLY not worth the trouble and mouse-clicks though. Where would we be if we gave attention to every @sshole that shows up?
# 14
pikengren
pikengren
08/22/2004 6:14 am
i saw that the day i signed up here, and i didn't know what to think. i thought maybe it was an inside joke, or someone with a bad skin condition.
i ignored it and went about my business. i didn't know there wasn't any info in it.
we should point this type of thing out to a mod if we see it, huh?
# 15
PlayLoud
PlayLoud
08/22/2004 6:58 am
I should have and from now on will ! :mad:
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/22/2004 8:38 am
Originally Posted by: PlayLoud... Where would we be if we gave attention to every @sshole that shows up?
[font=trebuchet ms]With the right kind of attention, we'll be better off. Nobody benefits when that kind of stuff is posted on this website![/font] :mad:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.