Tubes

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/06/2004 3:00 pm
Well, Lordathestrings is going to kill me if I keep on asking him questions, so I thought I'd at least give someone else a chance. He can post here, anyways, I guess (and I hope!).

Let me preface this all by saying that my knowledge of tubes is, at this point, non-existent.

I have a Traynor YCV40 amp. According to Yorkville's online spec sheet, it uses 3x Sovtek 12AX7WA Dual Triodes in the preamp and 2x Sovtek 5881 Beam Power Tubes in the power amp (however, I've read that it uses 6L6's elsewhere, so perhaps 5881's and 6L6's are the same).

Also, I'm interested in the Gibson Skylark amps, which apparently use a 6X4, a 6BQ5 and a 12AX7 (however, I'm getting different answers on that, since there seem to be more than one Gibson amp model named Skylark, and perhaps some tubes have different names/equivalents).

My main questions have to do with changing tubes and the effect on sound. E.g. in my current amp setup - would changing the tubes have any effect on my tone (obviously it would, but to what degree)? If I want it to break up at lower volumes, what tubes should I use? How would changing the tubes in the Skylark affect tone?

Any other comments on tubes and their effects on/importance to tone?

Thanks for your help!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/06/2004 6:28 pm
I'm not sure what version skylark you're talking about, but I've got a '61 Gibson GA-5 skylark. it uses a 6V6 power tube, 5Y7? rectifier tube, and a 12AX7 pre-amp tube. I switched out the power tube for a cooler grade 6V6 so I can crank it a little more before it starts to break up and I also changed out the pre-amp tube for uhm....I can't remember right now, but it has a lower gain rating that the 12AX7 which interprets ot more headroom....12AU7 maybe :confused: Since the amp has no tone controls, it's pretty muddy with my PRS, but the new tubes brightend it up a bit. It also needs a new speaker for it to sound up to it's full potential. Normally I crank the amp up to around 10-12 o'clock where it's got full blown tube saturation and use the volume knob on my guitar to adjust the amount of overdrive or cleanliness. It's a real fun amp to play on, but it's just lacking with the stock speaker.

I also changed out the tubes in my XXX head and WOW :eek: what a difference! Before, it sounded good. Now, it sounds great.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/06/2004 7:09 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaI'm not sure what version skylark you're talking about, but I've got a '61 Gibson GA-5 skylark. it uses a 6V6 power tube, 5Y7? rectifier tube, and a 12AX7 pre-amp tube. I switched out the power tube for a cooler grade 6V6 so I can crank it a little more before it starts to break up and I also changed out the pre-amp tube for uhm....I can't remember right now, but it has a lower gain rating that the 12AX7 which interprets ot more headroom....12AU7 maybe :confused: Since the amp has no tone controls, it's pretty muddy with my PRS, but the new tubes brightend it up a bit. It also needs a new speaker for it to sound up to it's full potential. Normally I crank the amp up to around 10-12 o'clock where it's got full blown tube saturation and use the volume knob on my guitar to adjust the amount of overdrive or cleanliness. It's a real fun amp to play on, but it's just lacking with the stock speaker.

I also changed out the tubes in my XXX head and WOW :eek: what a difference! Before, it sounded good. Now, it sounds great.

I did some major searching on Google and found out that the amp I'm looking at is a 1967 GA-5. It has a tone control, and the tubes... I'm not 100% sure which ones it uses.

I wonder if I'd need to upgrade the speaker, too.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/06/2004 7:18 pm
it might not need a new speaker depending on how well it has been taken care of, and the environment it has been stored in. My amp sat in a basement closet for 20-30 years unused. So, needless to say, it was in need of an overhaul when I got it. All I lack now is to change out the speaker and replace some old and coroded(sp?) wires. When I get through with it, I'll make a recording with it and post it so ya'll can hear this little beast.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.