100 best guitar solos

Slow Diver
Slow Diver
04/15/2004 9:13 pm
Originally Posted by: fretdoc27

By the way, no one can put anything Steve Vai's ever done next to what Kurt Cobain has done. Different era, different audience. Kurt has a simple catchy song structure (very well put together) where Steve Vai is a technical "all over the place" kind of guy. Cobain's musical structure was easy listening, Vais' by any means, is not. If Cobain were alive today he'd laugh. He never intended to be a guitar player hero.

Very much agree with this. It is just different kind of values, and for sure Cobain's has never had the intention to emphasize on his guitar playing.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 1
basics
basics
04/16/2004 1:32 am
As a singer/songwriter he sucked too, haha. He just fit the image the media wanted to sell and he hated himself for it. :D
# 2
fretdoc27
fretdoc27
04/19/2004 10:42 pm
Originally Posted by: basicsAs a singer/songwriter he sucked too, haha. He just fit the image the media wanted to sell and he hated himself for it. :D

ONCE AGAIN, just a matter of preference really. There will never be a final survey on who deserves what in any order.

Now if it were more categorized as in; rythmn, progressive, rock, metal, hard rock, jazz, blues (which in itself can go on and on because just from what I have listed can produce many sub-categories as well or viewers who may think "new age" and "Jazz" shouldn't be seperate but together just shows you it's all about opinion and cannot be tied down :)) it would be easier to take people like Cobain and Jack White out of categories that are more meant to fit players like Malmsteen and Vai. But even then, it will just be a matter of opinion. The only way to chart away from opinion, is to chart through a measurement of something more solid outside of opinions like record sales! That's why who ever is most famous, gets top billing! It is easier for the industry to chart by sales (which is what it is there for anyways) than a poll. In fact, for what it's worth; the editor of that column/poll, was right! He who has control of the ink and edititorials has the voice. Think about it. It is also fair to say you and I will produce different poll results, but will both posses the "right" poll results. Food for thought.

The Irony of it is, there will always be someone to take guitar playing to the next level, whether they are known or not. Yes, someone being above everyone else who is obvisouly more technical than he may not deserve the spot in this case and does make one realize how record sales and money can suck-in and deaden music or real talent while dictating fresh ears. IT IS all about promotion and money! They shove it down your throat!

BUT, those who are out there who really can contribute to music or guitar technique (maybe even one of us ;)) will never be known without the money or industry behind them to promote and get them in front of the world. So the industry/money "giveths" and "takeths" away! As an example; in my opinion, one of the greatest players; Shawn Lane, was never exposed because he didn't want anything to do with the industry. He didn't want to "lose weight" and re-format his style to basic rock because to him it was B/S and he wanted to do more of what "he wanted to do." Good for him. But ask yourself, if he'd been exposed like Satch would he have contributed to modern guitar? I certainly think so. "I" certainly do. It hurts when I talk guitar to serious players and they're like, "no, never heard of him." He was great.

The tragedy lies here- No matter what, we should not dislike anyone because they cannot play 64ths at 220 BPM Or sweep 26 nps. I am a very technical player, but I also like to focus on playing with heart and what I feel, and most the time that comes across better in fewer notes or within different phrasing. I think every player should keep an open mind. If they don't, they are held in content. There are only two types of music; good and bad. There's stuff I love I never would've thought I would take a liking to. Being a serious guitar player myself, I feel that music always comes first. And making good Music has nothing to do with always having to include exceptional technical ability. A lot of good music is built around simplistic structure. No matter what, the guys you may hate may have influenced the guys you really love or vice versa.

Then again, it is my opnion.
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/20/2004 4:10 am
Yeah, this is bull****. This reminds me of Rolling Stone's top 100 greatest guitarists of all time, which was equally full of ****. How can you claim that Van Halen is only 70 and Joan Jett is even on the list. On top of veritably every other type of flaw imagineable. These things are just bull**** ways of telling you what you should enjoy, I say **** that I'm listening to songs about killing people.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
eltocaor
eltocaor
04/20/2004 3:10 pm
yes there are some good solos mentioned like Eddie's one "erruption" ;)
# 5
fretdoc27
fretdoc27
04/20/2004 7:47 pm
Well, if we're looking at rockin' solos with talent in the technical area, I garantee you most of your poprular heroes like Eddie, Vai, Satch would be bumped off by more obscure shredding.

What about these guys?

Shawn Lane ,Timmo Tolki, Vinnie Vincent, Uli Jon Roth, Michael Shencker,
George Lynch, Gary Moore, Joe Stump, Vito Brada, Adrian Vanderburg, Paul Gilbert, Mattias Jabbs, Alejandro Silva (check him out if you haven't already OMG!), Janick-Dave-and Adrian (together like in the "Trooper" solo), and the new guys from Shadow's Fall; Mathew Bachand and Jonathon Denais, Jake E. Lee, Vivian Campbell, Craig Goldy, Steve Morse, Chris and Mike Ammot, John Norum, Chris Poland, Tony MacAlpine, Marty and Dave, Alex Skolnick, **** it goes on and on...

What about these guys?

"Eddie Van who???"

Look some of these guys up...

Of course I love the contemps like Zakk and *Rhoads* and Yngwie but man, if you kick off what's on the list now for Eddie and Vai and the other contemps, then you might as well kick a few of them off for a few of the players I've listed above. They are just more obscure, that's all.

This is a redundant post. It's like posting the classic "Who's the fastest guitar player in the world?" question for a topic.
# 6
basics
basics
04/20/2004 9:48 pm
Hey, who is the worlds fastest guitar player anyway?
# 7
basics
basics
04/21/2004 3:11 am
Just kidding of course.
# 8
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/22/2004 11:01 pm
I like to think that most people with taste, having tried some of my CDs would totally revise their favourite solo listings. Many of these people are no names, comparatively obscure. Where was "La Villa Strangiato?" by Rush, this contains the most fantastically beautiful life-altering guitar solo [U]ever[/U]. Nowhere... Why did Satriani's "Satch Boogie" feature 55 when there are tracks on surfing with the alien that considerably piss on Satch boogie, if you want shred try Crushing Day, Ice nine or Circles, for pure class try echo, for inovation and "what the ****! value" try Midnight. No way is Satch 55th best...
This is all bollox but then you can't trust a person with such opinions unless they listen to hours and hours of different music. Didn't see extreme there either.. Nuno Bettencourt should be as famous as any rock guitarist, personally I rate him way above Vai and possibly even above pettrucci and malmsteem...
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 9
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/22/2004 11:11 pm
Originally Posted by: fretdoc27Well, if we're looking at rockin' solos with talent in the technical area, I garantee you most of your poprular heroes like Eddie, Vai, Satch would be bumped off by more obscure shredding.

What about these guys?

(including) Uli Jon Roth, Michael Shencker"

Totally agree with your sentiments but i've seen Satch live with uli jon roth and michael shencker and he upstaged them biggly. Great list of players though, I shall look out for those I haven't heard.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 10
Hannibal Smith
Hannibal Smith
04/24/2004 2:25 pm
My favourite is gary moore's "The end of the world" intro + solo.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.