View post (Unbelievable.)

View thread

ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/08/2004 8:38 pm
I have to say I agree with all of you, obviously, but I still think this is a worthy accomplishment in terms of breaking boundaries. Of course, as I've been saying for years to my guitar and web design students, there are two sides to everything in art - the technical and the creative. You have to have both. Some people prefer one more than the other, which is fine, but you still need both ingredients to some degree.

Just imagine what would be possible if you could combine this kind of technique with the mind and musical intuition of a composer. As I've been going through all the various shred artists (George Bellas, Michael Angelo, Fareri, Rusty Cooley) I have a very hard time distinguishing beteen them because everything sounds the same, and this goes against my fundamental law which is: you need your own voice, and people should be able to instantly recognize it when they hear it. These guys do musical gymnastics, and that's about it. Now you might like that or you might not, it all depends on what you value. It certainly has captured my attention, but the stuff that I constantly put on in the car and in the house is music that teaches me something new everytime I hear it - I call it an artist's stereo half-life, the time a CD stays in my stereo continuously before I swap it. I think Sex & Religion was in my car for 5 months straight.

Point is, there's entertainment and there's art. The best artists know how to use both in order to keep a loyal following.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio