View post (Steve Vai's 30 hour workout!)

View thread

Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
03/10/2004 1:23 am
Originally posted by Azrael
i say quality over quantity. if you know how to practice and if you have developed the ability to notice your mistakes and instantly work on them, you dont need a 5000 hour routine. i learn more in 1 hour now than i used to learn in 4 hours back when i had no clue how to learn. be efficient.
this must be one of those guitarist-ego syndromes...
"look i practice 12 hours a day" .... "you suck - i practice 20 hours a day" .... "but i´m faster - i can play 3 billion notes a second" ...

I've noticed that too. I practise about an hour a day now, excluding rehearsals with bands that is, and I've noticed that a lot of guitarists out there who practise a lot more than I do, for lack of a better word, suck, because when they practise for 12 hours straight or whatever, they just practise bad technique, playing with distortion on all the time, not knowing the proper whay to do whatever they're doing in the first place, you get the idea.
Anywhoo, I didn't mean to toot my own horn there. But hey, if your like Vai and you practise that much with good technique, there's nothing wrong with that.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good