The Brits - uh?

Fruitbat
Fruitbat
02/23/2004 9:37 am
The Brits. Oh dear. If the winners are the best the British pop and rock music industry has to offer, it's time to check out Polish pop radio on the long wave. The Darkness, Dido and Busted. A bunch of sub Bon Jovi clowns, the most beige woman in music and 3 snot -nosed middle class boys murdering an Undertones classic. The only good thing were the performances from Andre 3000 and the hugely luscious Beyonce. Then again, at least the vastly overrated Radiohead won zilch. As for Dido,her music is perfect for the hordes of middle management executives who deck out their homes with IKEA furniture, play golf and 'rock' out to Dire Straits. And as for The Darkness supposedly being the best rock band in Britain. That's like saying Tim Henman is the UK's #1 tennis pro.
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/23/2004 11:19 am
i got an IKEA desk..... :eek:

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/23/2004 4:06 pm
YOU GOT A PENIS FROM IKEA???????

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/24/2004 12:49 am
Dido is very talented! Everybody loves the songs 'white flag' and 'life for rent' from her new album so she must be doing something right.
Plus Busted have nailed the teen pop/rock genre excellently.
Also the darkness are resposnible for a massive increase in guitar sales in the UK in the past few months!
# 4
Seve420
Seve420
02/24/2004 7:14 am
Originally posted by Axl_Rose
Dido is very talented! Everybody loves the songs 'white flag' and 'life for rent' from her new album so she must be doing something right.
Plus Busted have nailed the teen pop/rock genre excellently.
Also the darkness are resposnible for a massive increase in guitar sales in the UK in the past few months!

I'm unsure if that was sarcastic or not, seeing that not too long ago you posted a thread about how Black Eyed Peas are good.

I think it's been proven many times that the amount of records you sell isn't always a sign that you are talented or even moderately good. I do think that Dildo has some alright songs, however (I aren't totally repulsed when my sister plays it), which might sound wierd coming from a guy who listens to stuff like F*ck... I'm Dead - Inject Me With AIDS.
Latest News: Bird and bee have sex with disastrous results
# 5
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/24/2004 10:45 am
No... I wasnt being sarcastic.
There was an incredible increase in guitar sales this xmas in the UK, I think it was 30%, thats an excellent result.
I think those two main Dido singles will still be played in pubs and clubs in 10 years time!
And about busted... I dont like them.. but then again theyre really only 4 guys who played in a band and got famous cos millions of people happen to like there music, so whats wrong with that? Should they quit just because they have become successful?
I know record sales arent everything, some of my favourite CDs only sold 10K, but I think that as a band its your responsiblity to get you music out there and listened too. So in a way sales are a good indicator of success.
# 6
Seve420
Seve420
02/24/2004 11:15 am
Did a similar thing happen when Nirvana became popular?
Latest News: Bird and bee have sex with disastrous results
# 7
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
02/24/2004 11:37 am
Hmm.

I don't know loads about Dido, Busted or The Darkness, but im gonna bore you with my thoughts anyways :)

Dido has an amazing voice, simple as that, it's not exatly cheesy pop so I can handle her stuff, although you wouldn't see me running aronud looking for her album.

Busted... *sigh*.Busted are famous for 1 thing.Bending over for their record label. Im sure the record label loves them loads, they get 3 teen guys, put guitars on them and tell them everything they have to do.Busted do exactly what they're told and get money.Nothing to do with good music at all in my opinion.I even heard they couldn't jump around in concert and play the stuff they do.. considering what they're playing, that shows you the talent these fellows have on the guitar. I mean I can jump around a bit while playing some gilbert (while looking like a dick), and they cant do chords? Pah!

Whether you like The Darkness or not, you have to respect that these guys have toured the country plenty of times before getting famous, not like some new bands that go from demo tapes to millions. They've stuck to what they want to play and got famous for it... good job guys.Plus the brian may style solo's are a good thing to hear on **** channels like the music factory.

Now i'll stop talking crap

- J
# 8
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/24/2004 6:52 pm
Originally posted by Jamiephofe

Busted... *sigh*.Busted are famous for 1 thing.Bending over for their record label.

I always end up talking about this band but i swear i dont like them! They really havent done anything to deserve a mention on a guitar site...

...but Jamie howd u no thats the case?
# 9
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
02/24/2004 8:38 pm
I don't "know" that's the case. But I know for sure that major record labels don't look for original or talented musicians, they look for money. If your the best guitarist in the world but they don't think your going to make any money, then they won't support you. It's safe to say if busted didn't get on their label and do exactly what they're told, then they wouldn't make a living from being a touring unsigned band. Im sure anything busted can do, another unsigned band thats playing the pub circuits can do it a thousand times better. Plus, if busted decided to do anything different, im sure the label would drop them straight away, I doubt the songwriters for busted can do thrash metal ;) (please lets not argue about whether busted write their own material, they can hardly even play it)

- J
# 10
pricklepuss
pricklepuss
02/24/2004 11:57 pm
i saw counting crows in london last night, and guess who was stood right next to me at the gig....
charlie from busted
# 11
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/25/2004 1:18 am
(please lets not argue about whether busted write their own material, they can hardly even play it)

- J

OK OK OK! But... I thought Avril Lavignes band prolly sucked then I heard them do 'fuel' at the metallica icons show and the guitarists werent bad! They might not be the greatest players but we cant call them talentless!

Ill shut up about busted though, really dont wana be associated with them! Esp as Im 100% into motley crue again! I went through a phase of hating them but I like em again!

[Edited by Axl_Rose on 02-24-2004 at 08:21 PM]
# 12
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
02/25/2004 3:09 am
I thought sum 41 did the best out of all of the bands on the tribute show. The guitarist managed a decent solo and the overall sound was good.

A friend of mine commented that he thought limp biskit completely put welcome home sanatarium to shame though.

I bet Rob felt pretty wierd being at the show though, having only just joined Metallica. Do you reckon he's ever going to be fully accepted as their new bassist?

- J
# 13
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/25/2004 1:47 pm
Metallica wont last long enuff for him to be accepted. Everyone I new who loved them and liked them now hates them.
# 14
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
02/25/2004 10:30 pm
Dido has an amazing voice

Hmmm... what criteria are you using to qualify her voice as "amazing"? I'd sooner reach for an adjective like "annoying" or "on the verge of being bearable".
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 15
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/26/2004 1:18 am
I think she has an excellent voice, same with Christina Aguilera!
# 16
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
02/26/2004 1:23 pm
Well.. as far as can she sing an Ab on demand im not sure, but I like the sound of her voice. One of those voices you can sit down and relax to, unless of course you hate the sound of it... then it'd be a bit annoying :)

Just personal opinion, like most things in music I guess.

- J
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.