Alexi Laiho v.s Zakk Wylde v.s Randy Rhodes?

Cody_King
Cody_King
02/12/2004 5:34 pm
Just wondering which you prefer, or what you like about each guitarest, Zakk Wylde was inspired by Randy Rhodes, Alei Laiho(Children of bodom) was inspired by both of them, to me I think i like Alei the best, than its a tie bewteen randy and zakk, what do you guys think?
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
02/12/2004 6:45 pm
randy and aleksi are both my gods. randy for obvious reasons, and laiho for his amazingly fast and extremely clean teachnique, quite amazing. and his song writing, especially for sinergy.

zakk i respect but i really don't care fore
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
bitterblues01
bitterblues01
02/12/2004 7:16 pm
Randy to me...he inspired me to play so yea.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see
# 3
Death55
Death55
02/12/2004 10:10 pm
I really like Alei Laiho. I think the solo's and riffs he play are so well put together and they are also very technical. Randy Rhodes and Zakk wylde are amazing too. I do like some of zakk wyldes riffs in black label society, they are really cool.
I find it really hard to compare guitarist like this. Its ok if somebody asks me to compare two of my friends but to compare great guitarist like this.. well i can never make a clear decision on who is better.
At the moment i would have to say Alei Laiho is my favourite because lately i have really got into children of bodom and love all their riffs and solo's and want to form a band that plays really similar music to them :)
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 4
TheWizard
TheWizard
02/12/2004 11:11 pm
I used to completely dislike Zakk, but ive been listening to him a lot and I think he is really really good

It's amazing how fast he is using only the penatonic scale, and his 'chicken pickin' stuff is really cool too

I don't know who the other guy is but Im sure I still prefer Randy to him

Randy is the man, no one will ever compare to his phrasing, his unique tone, his perfectly simple yet awesome riffs

He's played things in a way that I have never heard anyone come close to
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 5
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/13/2004 12:18 am
Rhoads is a pioneer , Wylde is a more interesting player , Alexi is a more accomplished guitarist.
# 6
sambob
sambob
02/13/2004 6:41 pm

It's amazing how fast he is using only the penatonic scale, and his 'chicken pickin' stuff is really cool to

What do you think about shredding over pentatonics then? Zakk Wylde is tame compared to someone like...

Greg Howe
Marshall Harrison
Derryl Gabel

Or perhaps most interesting of all, Shawn Lane.
# 7
bitterblues01
bitterblues01
02/13/2004 9:26 pm
I really don't like to compare guitarist. It is kind of pointless. You can never really ever compare them. Just a matter of taste, and stuff. Kind of like debating over what taste better salt or pepper.
# 8
Death55
Death55
02/13/2004 10:30 pm
well said bitterblues01. I totally agree with you. Apart from you can compare a really good guitarist with someone who is rubbish and say who is better.

By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 9
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/15/2004 2:45 am
Rhoads definitely.... (where do you think I got my name?)
I love people who look at songs and solos as compositions, and Randy did that. I like his style more than extremely calssical based shredders cuz they mainly improvise, where as Randy could make his masterpiece through long, hard musical thought. Plus, he had some fun with it! I mean not that the others didn't, but you never see Zakk Wylde smiling up there with Ozzy (althought that has nothing to do with a guitarists skill but o well...)
As for Zakk I think his pent. stuff is cool, but a little repititive.... but his technique is unique (hey that rhymes....)

I haven't listened to much of Alexi....

[Edited by Rrhoads154 on 02-14-2004 at 09:04 PM]
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 10
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/15/2004 2:59 am
I don't usually reply to such topics, but eh what the hey I'll say my piece. I've never heard Alexi before, or I have and didn't know it was him. But between rhoads and wylde. I like both but Rhoads was the man, he basically got the whole metal shredding thing going. Wylde is a good guitarist, but pentatonics are lame if that's all you use. But if anyone is going to use them over and over, I'd rather hear wylde doing them than anyone else.

BTW, Pepper is way better. Pepper would kick salt's arse. What's Salt got?? Ehh, "I'm Salt, I'll make you thirsty, eh". Pepper is like, "I'll burn your arse b*tch!!".
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 11
bitterblues01
bitterblues01
02/15/2004 5:10 am
yea, but Salt sure does taste good on some of those tacos :-p
# 12
Cody_King
Cody_King
02/18/2004 5:27 pm
I like salt better, it makes everything taste better, like katchup.!
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.