What dose children of bodom use to get there sound?

Cody_King
Cody_King
02/11/2004 2:27 pm
What kind of scales, arpeggios, or what do they do to get there sound? anyone know? thanks. i love the melodys in there songs.
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
02/11/2004 4:47 pm
well Laiho is classically trained, but i would imagine he uses the basics most others like him do. the church modes, harmonic minor, pretty much the same as other guitarists, they just use them in a different way. also a lot of their melodies come from Janne on the keyboard.

laiho uses EMG-HZ from what i've seen can tell, although he said in an interview that he had a lot of active stuff in his sound. the amps are tube, but the gain isn't very high, most of it comes from the guitar or other things outside the amp. and he also has one of the best techniques out there which accounts for a lot of the sound

[Edited by zepp_rules on 02-11-2004 at 12:28 PM]
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
Death55
Death55
02/12/2004 10:36 pm
I think he uses ESP guitars. I heard that he used peavy 5150 amps and mesa boogie amps.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 3
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
02/12/2004 11:16 pm
i've seen him use everything form line 6 to roland to marshall

and yeah he uses a custom ESP V now
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 4
rockerluke
rockerluke
02/13/2004 3:18 am
Originally posted by zepp_rules
well Laiho is classically trained, but i would imagine he uses the basics most others like him do. the church modes, harmonic minor, pretty much the same as other guitarists, they just use them in a different way. also a lot of their melodies come from Janne on the keyboard.

Yeah quite obvious that he has learned classical music. His scales are somewhat related to Malmsteen and Romeo.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.