View post (Is this perfect Pitch thing Real?)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/11/2004 5:27 pm
Originally posted by beginner
One Question how to do the exercises: Interval Identification: Does it matter if guess it´s a major 3rd but it is a major 4th, and I correct my guess before I really give my answer, which is possible in EarMaster, or should I know it the first time?

Yeah. As long as your not hitting "your answer" and checking to see if it is the same as the question. Try not to guess per say, think a second about it, then make your choice. Hum it if you don't know the answer the first time, that will help you understand the range of the intervals. If you get one wrong, play it again to see and recognize your mistake. About the scales, I would still do them. They have a certian tonality that is very important to learn. Just try at first distinquishing between the major and minor scale. Then add to it the harmonic and melodic minor. You should at least know the differences between those four.

And my last question: If I want to train also perfect pitch with Ear Tune( I haven´t found that one yet) is it Ok if I just add 10 minutes to my EarMaster exercises?

Yeah sure. A good thing to do that will keep your ear in shape is by doing one (either earmaster or eartune) earlier in the day, and doing the other later in the day. On ear tune, I'd suggest starting with clean guitar. The timbre is more universal, and only start with two notes at first. Then add one at a time once you become comfortable.

Link for Eartune

Tip with eartune: Listen to how each note is different, not that one is higher or lower, but something else that seems different about them. I'm going to write something in the tricks about listening techniques so check that out.

It is also possible to record your own guitar sounds and use them in eartune instead. Let me know if your interested, I'll explain how.

[Edited by iamthe_eggman on 02-11-2004 at 12:45 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.