View post (Is this perfect Pitch thing Real?)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/10/2004 7:47 pm
So if I do the interval exercises without the first note help(I actually did this with all exercises I´ve done till now) I can also develop perfect pitch with Earmaster, right?

Ah. So your able to know exactly what the first note is without any reference?? Like using your guitar to find the notes, or having a note sound when you click on the fretboard. If so, go to melodic dictation, exercise setup, tones = 1, Scale = chromatic, max interval = octave, ambit = octave, and no boxes checked, and don't aid yourself with your guitar or any other instrument. If you can get at least 95% of 20 questions right, you have perfect pitch.

Earmaster can aid in developing the skill of absolute pitch, but it misses the bottom half of the training. Melodic dictation catches it right around the middle of the training because you can't name the notes if your don't know what they sound like. It doesn't train you on each individual pitch itself until you know them. Just on there relation to one another. Great program for developing relative pitch, but not absolute pitch.

There is free software out there for perfect pitch, such as Ear tune and Ear test. I think they even have a program out there that goes by Burge's course, but it isn't free.

On the interval and chord exercises, you shouldn't be using your guitar; that's cheating man. ;) The training part of it is knowing what interval it is or which is bigger just by hearing it. Not checking it on your guitar.

On interval comparison, the interval that is bigger is the one that has more distance between the first note played and the second note played. Try humming them at first, if you have difficulty. When you try to hum the interval you should feel in your voice which went the farthest distance.

On interval identification, in the exercise setup click the box that says "show the first tone". The goal of this exercise is to learn what interval the second note is from the first. SO the first note should be a given. There's no need to name the first note, even if you have perfect pitch.

If it takes you more than a half an hour, it's cool to stop there and continue another time. Your right an hour and half is alittle long on ear training. If I may suggest, if it takes you a long time to get through the exercises. Try at least doing one interval excerise, one chord exercise, and one rhythm exercise a day. So a plan would work out to be.

Day 1:
Interval comparison
Chord identification
Rhythm reading

Day 2:
Interval identification
Chord inversions
Rhythm imitation

Day 3:
Scale identification (scales are made from intervals so...)
Chord progressions
Rhythm correction

Then repeat. Throw melodic dictation in there whenever you get the chance, or you sub out one and do this instead. Melodic is actually all the skills above put to use, think of that when you try that exercise.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 02-10-2004 at 01:58 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.