View post (Is this perfect Pitch thing Real?)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/08/2004 6:46 pm
Originally posted by beginner
So I´m a bit confused now. What is missing in Ear Master that it doesn't train you to a level of perfect pitch? And what is better on the site you recommend?

Having perfect pitch is like having someone go over and play any one note on the guitar, and you would be able to name that note. Even tell if it's alittle sharp or alittle flat. Even have someone tell you sing a G, and you could sing a G in tune. Without any reference to another note, like playing A then play another note and name the second. Earmaster covers only the last in interval identification, where it plays 2 notes. Tells you the first, then questions you on the interval of the second note. That's not perfect pitch, it's relative pitch.

Prolobe.com actually trains you on perfect pitch, playing notes and having you name them. Start with 2, then once you get good at 2, then 3, and so on. Until you can name all 12, you have perfect pitch. Yes at first it is alittle relative pitch, the high one is D and the low one is C. That eventually breaks down as more notes are added.

By the way, how much time a day should I spend on Ear Training? I do about 30 minutes a day, but nevertheless it develops VERY slowly, but I think this is common(isn´t it?) and continue practicing.

Developing slowly is common at first, the reason is you have never had to really use your ear. Of course you listen, but physically and mentally achieving skills is something new to it right now. 30 minutes a day sounds good. The ear only learns so much at one time. It's extremely fragile and if you push it too hard you'll just ruin it rather than improve it. I'd say try to do a level on each exercise a day. If you pass move on to another exercise. If you fail the first time, it's ok to try it again, but if you fail a second time. I'd just try again the next day. There's other things to work on. Remember it's not how fast you develop that counts it's that you developed. You can probably look back to when you first started and see that you have gotten more skillful.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.