View post (finger tone)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/23/2004 6:10 am
It definitely helps to have a rig that lets you hear subtle changes in hardware and technique.

My [u]style[/u] is recognisable regardless of what equipment I'm playing. My [u]tone[/u] is good when I have gear that accurately presents [u]my[/u] input to the audience. My own rig (Ampeg amps and carefully selected/customized guitars), does that. Other setups are not as well suited to me, and then something gets 'lost in the translation'.

Part of 'finding your sound' is a matter of choosing what kind of sound is best able to convey your feelings. That means choosing material for your repertoire as well as selecting guitars, amps, and effects that suit you.

Very few of us find that we are fulfilled by just one genre of music. That means that we need to select gear that will enable us to express ourselves clearly in whatever kind of music we play. And as our tastes evolve, our equipment choices shift accordingly.

I have come to a point where 'my sound' has a very strong 'presence'. And no, that doesn't mean turning up the Presence knob on the amp. I look for a very specific balance of warmth and clarity. I use very little distortion, except to convey strong emotion. And that can only be effective if it is [u]not[/u] over-used. I choose gear that sounds like a great guitar. That may seem kind of obvious, until you put it into context by comparing that statement with (for example) recent discussions on this forum of Brian May's sound. I really enjoy listening to Queen's music, because it's nothing like [u]my[/u] style.

Advice? Learn from others, but don't copy them. What sounds 'right' to you may not be what's selling Big Time in the mainstream. Unless you're actively pursuing a career as a 'ROCK STAR', that shouldn't matter to you.

If commercial success is your focus, then you can hire a consultant to tell you what sound is likely to generate big sales. Or you can sign on with a major label, who will tell you what to play.

Me. I've had several successful careers outside of the music scene (and I ain't done yet!), so I can afford to reserve music as an outlet for my creative and spiritual energy. As they say, "Your mileage may vary." :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons