View post (ITs me!)

View thread

Trolle
Trolle
01/18/2001 11:42 am
I learned to play by ear first. Then after a few years I dicovered TAB's. Wow!
Soon, as was playing cover **** like everybody else, ripping of all the guitar-gods styles.
Then when I was 21 (3 years ago), I learned to read music and had a ****load of theory by piano. I could read music within a month, only with 4 hours class a week, no bull!
Then, I remember I hated my guitarplaying, always thought that I came up with some crappy stuff. A year after I'd learned to read music, I had totally forgotten how to play by it. I can still sort out the notes slowly, but nope, I don't use it and never will. The last 2 years I have returned to where I started 10 years ago, playing by ear.
Now I love playing all the time, jamming with friends, gigging with the 2 bands I'm in, still improving but ONLY by ear and what music I feel should flow through my guitars.

Guess this is only what works for some people, I'm not saying that to be able to read music and use it is a bad thing, not at all! Hell, Steve Vai can do anything about music and his playing is awesome, though his music isn't a favor of mine. I'm a little more retro.

Fiddles
Trolle