View post (ITs me!)

View thread

John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
01/15/2001 2:14 pm
Hey guitar_chick / Kimi. I'm flattered you changed your "name" to the one I suggested in one of your earlier posts. Just sort of came to me when reading the replies to that topic. Glad that you like it. As for learning sheet music; if you have the drive and desire to learn to "sight read" (I wish I could) it will repay you many, many times over. Combined with a good ear and a dedication to proper technique, you'll become quite adept at performing most any type of music. Tabs give you the notes to play but are inexact in describing timing. Try picking up the tab to a song you've never heard before and playing it (admittedly, the quality of tabs on the net varies greatly and this is just my own observation). If you can read music and are given the sheet music to a song you've never heard, you'll come much closer to nailing the song. My wife has no ear at all, but sight reads and can play (on the piano) almost any piece of music she sees. So, go for it. It will definitely make you a more rounded musician.