View post (Favourite authors/books?)

View thread

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/15/2004 12:24 am
Originally posted by Leedogg
My favorite author book combo would be Daniel Quinn's Ishmael. An extremely enlightening piece. I would definately recommend it you, iiholly, if you are kerouac fan. I'm currently reading Darwin's Origin of species for a Darwin class I'm taking here at school

One of my teachers just reccomended that book to me today. Kind of creepy.

"I never got Kerouac. I read 'On The Road', which was good initially but I thought it just dragged on too long. Then I tried reading Desolation Row and gave up. " posted by Karma in The South

A lot of people don't get Kerouac I think to really appreciate his work you have to know a little about the guy. He created a new form of writing called spontaneous prose. Basically he would take drugs, and write an autobiographical book in about a week or less.
I'm pretty sure you mean Desolation Angels, and that is one of Kerouac's greatest supposedly. I found some of it amusing. One seen he mourn the death of a mouse which he killed. Then another moused died, and he though it was the old mouses' friend, and had commited suicide. Pretty funny stuff. Atleast, I thought so.