View post (What can you do with a couple grand?)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
01/08/2004 4:04 pm
I listened to the song, I liked it. I've been in tons of emo/screamo bands in the last couple of years. I'd say you guys got some potential and probably would be pretty decent live show. The quality of the mix was good but I can only listen to it on lo-fi do to ****ty internet connection. I can't give you a proper critique there, but I will give you something from a listeners prospective. I do it not directing at your style but your music since your last post.

I like what the drummer did in the beginning, different and pretty cool. :) The guitars over top of that drum part is a different story. Good guitar parts but to me it didn't stick well with the drum part. A tip, having 3 great parts stacked on top of each other doesn't produce a great effect in music, there's no unity. Good music is when everything can produce one solid idea, and that evolves as time progresses. When you have a cool part that you like on one instrument, roll with that. Then once you have emphasized that idea for a while then bring in the guitar parts, and allow everything else to back that up.

Second, the beginning idea and the end, which alone was pretty cool, were both good. However the middle parts broke the musical flow. That's the most important thing in composing, you must not break the musical flow. Music from beginning to end must go on convincingly. Surpises are a mistake, especially for the person who is really getting into what your doing. It's a disappointment when you get into some music then sudden it drops like a stone.

Third, the ending was alittle drawn out, and got stagnant. Eggman had the answer, try introducing some thing new. It doesn't have to be something strong, like a solo (I would have like alittle Flyodness there too :) ) or singing, maybe a light cello as the music starts to fade out.

Again these are just things I see wrong basically in the arrangement of the music. The individual ideas in the music itself are good. The arrangement could use alittle work.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.