Which pedal to get Yngwie-tone?

Baris
Baris
01/08/2001 8:09 pm
Hello shredders,

i'd like to hear some advices, about getting Yngwie's tone. I know he uses old Marshall tube amps with Mk.II 50 watt heads. Also, i read he uses a Dod-250 overdrive/preamp.
But, a Yngwie-freak told me i should get a Ibanez Ts-9 pedal
to get a Yngwie-tone. He said, Yngwie uses it too. My equipment is a Fender Japan Strat, a 15-watt solid-state amp, and a cheap Zoom-multi-effects pedal. So, what would you suggest as a budget-solution?

thanks
# 1
12string_doug
12string_doug
09/30/2005 4:55 am
Originally Posted by: BarisHello shredders,

i'd like to hear some advices, about getting Yngwie's tone. I know he uses old Marshall tube amps with Mk.II 50 watt heads. Also, i read he uses a Dod-250 overdrive/preamp.
But, a Yngwie-freak told me i should get a Ibanez Ts-9 pedal
to get a Yngwie-tone. He said, Yngwie uses it too. My equipment is a Fender Japan Strat, a 15-watt solid-state amp, and a cheap Zoom-multi-effects pedal. So, what would you suggest as a budget-solution?

Well, I don't think I qualify as a shredder, but I do have a copy of Gear Secrets of the Guitar Legends. (Backbeat Books; distributed by Hal Leonard Corp. I ordered mine from Musician's Friend.)
Budget-wise, you might be able to find a deal on a good used Tube Screamer. The book mentions that Yngwie uses one as part of his home recording setup, along with a BOSS Noise Suppressor.
His gigging rig apparently is huge, with (among many other things) [U]two[/U] DOD 250 Overdrives. Also be aware that he does some modifications to his vintage Strats. He replaces the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio HS-3 "stacked" humbucker. The fingerboards on his Strats are scalloped (concave depressions between each fret), and he detunes everything a half-step, to C#.

Rock on!

--
Doug C.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.