Favorite hidden elements...

Joseph
Joseph
01/08/2001 4:52 am
Whats your favorite cover song, why, and how have you made it your own?

Everyone who is anyone knows more than a few cover songs, that is if you're a musician. I remember the first song that I learned on guitar, "Knocking on Heavens Door" by Bob Dylan, Ive always tried to add a little bit of my own style to it. Its just one of those songs that you can't help experiementing with. Ive played this song live, always with more than a modicum of emotion because i love this song so much. No matter how much we tamper with it, no one can top Dylan, he has a certain flair thats indescribable and that can't be taken over. I guess its not enough to learn certain songs note for note, what really matters is what you're getting unconsciously from certain hidden elements.

-Joseph :)
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
01/09/2001 5:46 am
My curiosity tends to escape me every now and then.

With this whole thing, I just feel that its very beneficial to try and learn what someone else does on guitar in your own way. By this I mean you should attempt to figure out a couple of songs without any help. It will help you develop your own way of playing certain runs and licks, and will also help you not only get in touch with your inner emotions, but the hidden elements in our favorite songs. Because I feel that we often recieve the best results unselfconsciously. If you make the mistake of just wanting to learn how your favorite players do everything, it'll hurt you as a player in the future, (because its a great feeling to be able to rely on yourself.) I feel that its important to develop your own musical personality, and alot of that will come from your own personal perception.

So what do you guys think?

-Joseph, :)
www.ragmagazine.com
# 2

01/09/2001 7:54 pm
I agree totally. I love playing along with my favorite songs, but rarely do I play it note for note but rather improvise little fills over it. However learning other players particular playing styles increases your own vocabulary for writing music. I used to be completely ignorant as to how Slash does his solos, but going through a couple of them and learning to play them, I can now identify with his style and incorporate ideas of his into my own playing.

Oh btw... I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that Knockin' on Heavens door was written by Eric Clapton. If you want to hear a kick ass cover of that song, check out the Guns N' Roses cover.
# 3
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
01/09/2001 9:23 pm
Sorry James, "Knockin..." was written by Bob Dylan in 1973. Other artists have covered it (Clapton, GnR, Jerry Garcia to name some) but authorship definitely belongs to Bob Dylan.
# 4
Joseph
Joseph
01/09/2001 10:31 pm
"Knocking on Heavens Door" is a Dylan original, but you're right James GNR's version does kick ass. Although throughout all of the cover versions I heard from this song, No one can top Dylan, he is definitely one of the greatest songwriters of all time. When it all comes down to it, what matters is whether or not you're capable of constructing good solid melodies, and the rest should take of itself. Although I pride myself on being a great technical player, thats not all there is to the guitar, its all about timing and learning to let your ear guide you...

-Joseph,:)
www.ragmagazine.com
# 5
Allie
Allie
01/09/2001 11:26 pm
It was written for the movie 'Pat Garret and Billy the Kid' starring Kris Kristofferson. Bob Dylan actually has a part in it and did the whole soundtrack.

They play it instrumentally throughout the movie, but the full song is on the record.
# 6

01/10/2001 12:58 am
Dylan wrote it?? Hmm... shows what I know :)

You're write about Dylan, he's a legendary songwriter and a timeless poet (he's still doin' what he loves best, writing music).
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.