Fender vs Gibson

stratman42
stratman42
01/20/2001 2:49 pm
Hey Chris!

Personally i'm not that bothered. In my opinion the stratocaster is the most versatile guitar available, but the gibson has an advantage with the humbuckers. It is great for psychadelic rock/blues (Hendrix, Floyd), but is also used in heavy rock/metal (Iron maiden). The Gibson is also quite versatile, but is used mainly in heavy music. Iron maiden use SGs and Strats at different times to get different sounds. Both can be used for rhythm or lead, and they are probably both as popular as each other. I think the (Squier) Strat is the best guitar for anyone who is just learning to play, but it can also be used by more advanced players. I personally prefer the strat (because i have one!) but like i said they have different sounds, and in the end its down to how they feel to and your taste in music. I don't care really. In fact, just to complicate the issue, I say that their both copies of each other, and that each has evolved along with the other. Without one, the other wouldn't be what it is today. I also say "What about Rickenbacker?" The first actual electric guitar ever made was in fact a Ricky, and I think Fender, Gibson and all other guitars owe a lot to that company. In fact, why doesn't this pathetic argument stop right here and everyone just listen to me and make peace?

PS

If you think that one's better than the other, PROVE IT!!! ;)
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 1
Elmo45
Elmo45
01/20/2001 3:13 pm
We're just a bunch of Guitar nuts making opinions.
:]
# 2
duker665
duker665
04/14/2006 6:21 pm
I have a 92 American Strat, and just bought a new Standard SG. Both are nice guitars, but 2 weeks into having both, I am leaning toward the strat, however I have played it for 4 years so this may change.

http://www.cell-stuff.net
# 3
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
04/14/2006 7:14 pm
Instead of fighting between the two, I just bought a Telecaster and a Les Paul. Each has their own sound and sometimes one sounds better than the other for different songs, but I love 'em both.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 4
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
04/18/2006 2:11 am
Well, as other people hopefully know, I am totally Fender.(my name...)But, I really do hope to get a Les Paul one day, and like many people said, it's different types of music. Both great brands, so...ya
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 5
damaged
damaged
04/18/2006 10:17 am
I would say fender :confused:

But Ibanez and esp is way better imo, then again can we count jackson as "fender"?
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/19/2006 12:12 am

That's all I have to say.................
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
04/19/2006 12:44 am
les paul sg

"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 8
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
04/19/2006 12:50 am
Fender strats nothin sounds better then someone who can play with a fender strat.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 9
aschleman
aschleman
04/19/2006 2:13 pm
Fender Strat... I own two... I will own many more before I die...

Gibsons are great guitars too I guess... To each his own... but no one should have to pay 3 thousand dollars for a F'n Gibson Les Paul... Buy a Paul Reed Smith. Better sound, better workmanship... better looking... Gibsons are overpriced, overrated, and by-and-large.... poorly made. I think you'll find that the stock of Gibson will be steeply declining in the next 5 years... mostly because PRS won the lawsuit to produce its own Single cut design guitars... which are muuuuuuuuuuuch better looking IMO.

So... I guess a better question would be PRS or Fender??

I would say PRS... but there is no better value out there than a Fender Stratocaster... Great guitars for all genres... versatile as all get out... highly customizable... and super playable... and for a quarter of what you would pay for a dual humbucker three way switch LP...
# 10
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
04/19/2006 7:16 pm
just to add to that, I think most of you guys would be surprised at how nice a single coild tone you can get with a Prs...my custom 22, has a three way toggle, and a push pull pot (rather than the usual 5 way rotary pickup selector) and with the neck pickup set to single coil, or the bridge pickup set to single coil, you get the same great sounds as you do from a strat...all you're missing is that warm sound you get from a single coil at the bridge with a single coil in the middle position...that is an awesome clean sound, but I think I prefer my Prs with the pickup selector in the middle and the push/pull pot pulled.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 11
SGuitar34
SGuitar34
08/19/2007 7:20 pm
with fender you cant make it sound the way you want it sometimes because of the way you can only have tremble, rythem or inbetween. but with gibson guitars witch have 4 knobs you can have tremble, ryhthem or maybe alot of tremble and a little ryhthem or a little tremble and alot of rhythem or you can mix it around in so many ways to get it to sound the exact way you want. you can do this because of the 2 volume nobs (1 for each setting) and the 2 tone nobs (1for each setting) and the toggle switch. YOU CANT PROVE WITCH ONE IS BETTER BY SAYING WITCH ONE LOOKS BETTER !!!. to end this you can fix that flaw on fender guitars by getting a guitar modulator. that way you can get a fender or gibson to sound the way you want it to.
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/19/2007 11:58 pm
Originally Posted by: SGuitar34with fender you cant make it sound the way you want it sometimes because of the way you can only have tremble, rythem or inbetween. but with gibson guitars witch have 4 knobs you can have tremble, ryhthem or maybe alot of tremble and a little ryhthem or a little tremble and alot of rhythem or you can mix it around in so many ways to get it to sound the exact way you want. you can do this because of the 2 volume nobs (1 for each setting) and the 2 tone nobs (1for each setting) and the toggle switch. YOU CANT PROVE WITCH ONE IS BETTER BY SAYING WITCH ONE LOOKS BETTER !!!. to end this you can fix that flaw on fender guitars by getting a guitar modulator. that way you can get a fender or gibson to sound the way you want it to.

Its not a flaw, its the way they are. Fenders aren't made to have a thick sound that a Gibson puts out. A Fender is more for blues and other twangy stuff while Gibson is more for rock. They still go both ways though.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 13
Krunek
Krunek
08/20/2007 7:09 am
It is a matter of personal preference... I never played Gibson. Played epiphone, though. It is harder to play than Fender... Wider neck and so. But, if I was to say which one is better, I"d say strat. Because it is much more versatile, at least I think so. But, that is the only reason that makes me put strat ahead LP. Apart from that, those are great guitars.
# 14
Taylorfan
Taylorfan
08/22/2007 4:39 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanFender Strat... I own two... I will own many more before I die...

Gibsons are great guitars too I guess... To each his own... but no one should have to pay 3 thousand dollars for a F'n Gibson Les Paul... Buy a Paul Reed Smith. Better sound, better workmanship... better looking... Gibsons are overpriced, overrated, and by-and-large.... poorly made. I think you'll find that the stock of Gibson will be steeply declining in the next 5 years... mostly because PRS won the lawsuit to produce its own Single cut design guitars... which are muuuuuuuuuuuch better looking IMO.

I would say PRS... but there is no better value out there than a Fender Stratocaster... Great guitars for all genres... versatile as all get out... highly customizable... and super playable... and for a quarter of what you would pay for a dual humbucker three way switch LP...

I always thought that the Strat would be great if you were stuck in a boat needing a paddle. To me, they're just planks of wood. Look at an ES-335 in flame maple and tell me about workmanship.
# 15
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
08/22/2007 6:02 am
Gibson.........tone. Fender does blues and country....Gibson can do it all :cool:

"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 16
guitarzany
guitarzany
08/25/2007 8:40 pm
Originally Posted by: chrisramguitarmanWelcome to the fender vs gibson fight!!have your say, which is better?? Are either of them any good? This is looking to be a good match. So which do you think's more superior?
ROUND ONE!!(ding ding)

I have 2 Teles, a Les Paul jr, an es-335, a Taylor T5-12, and a Washburn dc-60. Each of these guitars has given me hours of playing bliss and each has it's place in my repitoir of covers and originals. To say that one brand of model is superior to another would be, to me, like saying I prefer one of my children over the other.

That having been said, if I could keep only one it would be my LP jr and my youngest daughter...LOL
# 17
moosh101
moosh101
09/01/2007 4:43 pm
Hi everyone. Gibson Les Paul's tend to have a deeper mellow tone whereas Fender Strat's tend to have a sharper more treble sounding tone. Humbuckers vs single coil pickups. I hope this helps :)
# 18
guitarfromhell
guitarfromhell
11/21/2007 4:52 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanFender Strat... I own two... I will own many more before I die...

*** Wow you think PRS is good? U r saddly mistaken since gibson is the face of guitars and is the leading company in the industry.***
# 19
Sasuke199
Sasuke199
11/22/2007 3:51 am
I'm sorry, but I am not a fender fan at all. In my opinion, Gibsons are the guitars by which all others are judged. Gibsons are the best overall in sound, quality and playability. Any style of music that can be played on a Fender American Stratocaster can be matched or bettered by a Gibson Les Paul or a Gibson Sg.. Pleaaase note that this is just MY opinion :)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.