View post (some Q's about speed)

View thread

Bofatron
Bofatron
02/15/2001 4:50 pm
that's true but there is also an entire movement of technical music that exists as a counter to market-centered music. Almost all music exists as commodity production for the 'for-profit' market system. Earlier it was based on patronage. Lots of experimental and technical music exists in a form that gets around simple ideas of melody, harmony, and rhythm or tries to do unconventional things with these elements. I get a little nervous when people start going on about subordinating themselves and their playing under 'the music' when in fact what is considered 'good' music is itself an historical and cultural arbitrary determined by market forces and pleasing the lowest common denominator. I figure there's room for everybody to do what they want as long as they're happy with it and they aren't hurting others. Personally, my music fails from the dominant models of what is commercially good music, it is very technical, and it is very fast. I don't want to conform to the standards of 'good' music I just want to do what makes me happy and allows me to push the limits of what is possible. Melody-centric music is a western bias. I don't feel compelled to conform to those standards. As a result I get beat up pretty bad in the realm of public opinion but I can live with that I guess.

Pushing the envelope is more fun than having the majority behind you in a way. It ain't comfortable and I get my feelings hurt a lot, more than I'd like to admit, but that's the life of a misfit. Anyway, to anyone reading this, I suggest that if you want to be a technical guitarist or carve out your own model of music production go for it. There is room for you and there are people who will appreciate it.

10 years ago the readers of Gutiar Player magazine were outraged at the inclusion of Buckethead's lessons. He was denounced as a joke and an insult to the standards of good music. Now, a decade later, he is poised to redefine what good rock guitar is or can be as a member of Guns and Roses.

If technique drives your style and it is unique you will have develoepd a new style that when retroactivley evaluated will be seen not as technique driven but substantively driven. That's the job of critics. That's what they always do.

And even though my playing is technique heavy I did have a sound in my head before I cooked it all up. The sound is different than what I imagined but in some ways more outlandish than I ever dreamed possible.

It's all good.

Peace

bofa