View post (keys, scales, and watchamacalits)

View thread

bafoon
bafoon
12/28/2000 2:57 am
I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now. All of the music that I play is tablature from Guitar World magazine and from on the internet. I can hold my own when it comes to playing popular cover songs... Offspring, 3 doors down, papa roach, guns n roses.... but I now have the urge to attempt to put new things together. I have played in a high school band and I can read music. I'm near pro at reading and playing guitar tablature. What I can't do is translate written music into guitar,, and the real problem: I'm foreign when a conversation comes to keys. Basically, my music theory is lacking. I couldn't tell you if an A chord will fit in a song in the key of G.. or even what a song being in the key of G means. Besides the little no-help sections that I have read in the back of the popular Grade 1 "Learn to play Guitar" books that attempt to explain keys, scales, and why some chords will fit in some keys... etc.. I have had little success in this matter. If anybody can tell me where to start, I'd appreciate it. I did take lessons a year or two ago, and my instructor wrote me some of the common scales to practice, but I have no clue how to apply this. thanks

Tom