Noise Gates

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/30/2003 6:24 pm
Yep,I know what a noise gate is.Any suggestions on a good one?I was looking at the mxr smartgate pedal,boss ns-2,rocktron hush pedal e.c.t.What kind of gate do you have and does it do the tick?

I was also wondering about compression/sustain pedals.Once again ive never had experience with any compressor/sustain pedal.I was looking at the mxr dyna comp,tech 21 comptortion and such.

One more thing.I want some nice amp modeling(make my solid state halfstack sound close to a tube stack).What would be ideal for this...also note that I will be playing live.I was looking at the line 6 pod,line 6 amp modeler pedal,tech 21 tri A.C,behringer v-amp/pro,johnson J-station and stuff.Anyone have experience with a good amp modeler?
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/30/2003 6:26 pm
Whoops!Thanx in advance!

Later!
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/30/2003 8:41 pm
I love the Line 6 POD, it has a built in noise gate.

I used to use a cheep Behringer Ultra noise Pro. It was OK but liked line level input. Guitar input (as opposed to line level input) was OK however the best plan proved to be not to generate noise in the first place.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
10/01/2003 3:38 am
Somtimes hard to keep an old beat up peavey solid state 2x12 crud machine from blasting a banshee scream(60 cycle wail).It would be a great crud machine if it wasnt for the ear piercing shreiks...thats all I need the noise gate for.Nothing note squashing or sustain killing(as I'm trying to achieve tube like sustain...from a digital source...hopefully).

I was looking at the pod,but heard that it wasn't all that great for driving an amp live,but more suited for direct recording.I guess if it works for you doc,then it should be good.I'll try one out.

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2003 11:55 am
A word of caution, I have only used a Pod for recording, I haven’t really tired one live. I don’t imagine it will sound cack or anything I just dont want to be making stuff up !

Have you thought about feed back destroyers ? I know Behringer make some and if they do, it is a fair bet other people do also !

If it is 60 Hz humm the problem may not be one a feedback destroyer or a noise gate can do anything about and the answer may be a get a power conditioner and make sure your grounds are good

[Edited by Dr_simon on 10-01-2003 at 07:02 AM]
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
nasum_human
nasum_human
10/01/2003 12:54 pm
regarding the amp modelling, I'd recommend anything by tech21, they were the first on the scene and use 100% analogue circuitry. The Sansamp GT-2 is a good start, or the classic model for added flexibility, they work like a dream when you run them into an amp too.
From what I've read they may not be the most flexible, but they're the best at the stuff they DO simulate. No FX or reverb or anything, but the amp sounds are top notch, you can get most boogie, marshall and fender amp sounds out of em. and they sound better DI-ed than anything else I've heard. WAY less digital!
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
10/01/2003 2:30 pm
Have you considered an EQ to eliminate the high-pitched screaming? A compressor at the right settings should help too, but would probably affect your tone/dynamics.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.